Tuesday 1 August 2017

Camden Rocks Festival 2017

3/6/2017

So the day has finally arrived - one of the best events of the year as far as I'm concerned. Camden Rocks Festival continues to grow year after year. Last year: 200 bands. This year: 250 bands. Last year: 20 venues. This year: 25 venues. The price of the ticket is growing even faster - it's nearly doubled since 2009. It's still good value for money, but the problem is - however many hundreds of bands are playing - you only have time to see a certain number of them in one day! And the more bands that are on the bill, the more timing clashes there are going to be! This made things difficult even in the early years of the festival and difficult choices had to be made: Who to see? And who to miss even though you really wanted to see them too?

There is an additional problem this year: Although all the venues are within walking distance of each other and many are less than five minutes apart. Most of the venues are very close to Camden Town tube station and the Camden Lock/Stables Market area. But a couple of the venues are right on the Southern borders of Camden: Koko and the Crowndale (formerly the Purple Turtle) while a new venue has been added right on the Northern edge: The Fiddlers Elbow is the other side of Chalk Farm - so if you are going to see a band at the Crowndale and the next band you are going to see (who might be starting just as the previous band you've seen are finishing) then you have a problem!

So with 250 bands playing this year planning my day was even more difficult than usual. I went to Camden Rocks last year with I shortlist of 28 bands I wanted to see - I only managed to catch 11 of them.This year I started off with a shortlist of 32 bands....

My first port of call was Dingwalls Canalside - which is one floor below the main Dingwalls venue. I arrived just after 12.00 which was when the festival kicked off at various venues round Camden - the place was already packed!
Consequently I didn't see much of The Idol Dead's set, but they sounded great! This terrific band were one of the highlights of last year's Pure Rawk awards - and their punky but tuneful hard rock certainly didn't disappoint here either. It's good to see these Northern lads can draw a crowd in London. A not unattractive young lady handed me a flyer for next year's Pure Rawk Awards during the band's set - something to look forward to for next year already.

Next I was off to the Electric Ballroom to catch the start of The Urban Voodoo Machine.
The show got off to a spectacular start, but before the 'Bourbon soaked Gypsy blues bop 'n' stoll' really kicked in I had to leg it for the Underworld to see Hands Off Gretel. Although it's ages since I've seen the Voodoos, I have been wanting to catch Hands Off Gretel for quite a while but haven't managed to until now.
I found myself rather disappointed by this band as it seemed to be a case of 'Style over substance'. The vocals didn't sound good and nor did the guitars - rather dated riot grrrl with plenty of attitude but lacking good songs - a strong image but not much to back it up. I didn't stay long as it was a longer than usual walk to the next venue...

I arrived at the southern extreme of the Camden area in time to catch another female fronted (in fact all female) band who were much better. This was The Kut at The Crowndale. This venue is the former Purple Turtle and was one of the best venues in Camden. The place has had a refurb since closing as the Purple Turtle and being wrecked by squatters. The layout of the place is still the same and it still has the potential to be a really good live music venue again.
This band sound like they take the music a lot more seriously than the outfit I saw shortly beforehand elsewhere in Camden. The songs are less grunge and more straight ahead rock - there is nothing 'dumbed-down' about The Kut - frontgal Princess Maha can pull off a quite flash and technical guitar solo as well as coming up with some catchy and memorable songs.
The place fills up quite a bit while the band are playing - The Kut are certainly starting to build a following and I'd been looking forward to seeing them again after catching them supporting JoanOvArc last year in Stevenage and also seeing them in Camden with The Fiascos. If I had a 'Bands to watch out for' list then The Kut would be on it! More on this venue later...

Fortunately the next venue on my list is nearby, and right on my route back to Camden Town. On paper it appears to be yet another new venue, but the location on the map looks familiar. My suspicions are soon confirmed and new venue 'Be At One' turns out to be the former Flowerpot/Tommy Flynn's pub - now expanded and turned into a trendy wine bar. I don't even bother finding out what the bar selection or pricing is like - I know neither will be to my liking. However, the music certainly is! Unfortunately, this is another case of (as often happens at Camden Rocks) a band being put into a venue that is far too small for them! Consequently, when I arrive I find the place is already full and security are operating a 'One in- one out' system. The band in question is Massive Wagons. I've been aware of this band for a while since Ginger endorsed them and had them as a support band. They have recently become better known and scored daytime airplay on Planet Rock with their charity single Back To The Stack - a tribute to the late Rick Parfitt of Status Quo. It's bloody good - you should download it straight away! The band are already in full flight by the time I find myself standing in the queue in the street outside wondering if I will manage to get in before the band finish? People are only trickling out of the venue terribly slowly in ones and twos every few minutes.... After ten minutes or so I finally get in. Obviously, the place is already rammed - I can't see the band at all!
Fortunately, I can hear them - and they sound excellent! If the new bands that are starting to appear on Planet Rock these days are anything to go by then the current trend in rock music seems to be going back to bands with well written songs packed full of meaty riffs and singers who can actually sing. Maybe all the generic bands with dumbed down nu-metal style riffs, uninspired guitar solos and shit shouty/cookie monster/screamo singers have finally had their day? Bands like Massive Wagons, JoanOvArc, Inglorious, and Stone Broken seem to be reviving the 'Classic Rock' format with new music of a quality that has been sadly lacking in the rock scene until recently. In spite of the regular "Rock is dead" pronouncements by those seeking publicity for themselves, these new bands are proving that rock is very much still alive and kicking. The proof is in this packed out venue full of enthusiastic rock fans!  Although I am probably in the venue for less than half of Massive Wagons set, at least I get to hear them play 'Back To The Stack' and the rest of what I hear from the band is pretty good too.

There seemed to be a bit of a lull in the bands I wanted to catch in the early to mid-afternoon, but from 3 o'clock onwards everything seems to be all happening at once! Straight after Massive Wagons I have to head back to the nucleus of Camden Town to see Stone Broken at Proud. I think this has actually turned into a fairly decent venue these days - apart from the poor beer selection at the massively overpriced bar. And those fucking annoying toilet attendants! This is the first time I've seen Stone Broken - although I have been impressed by most the songs of theirs I've heard on the radio. The singer is good and has an excellent voice in a Paul Rodgers style. The band don't look much - very much like a generic pub band rather than rock stars, but they sound a lot better.
The only low in their set (for me personally) was the inevitable inclusion of their token power ballad 'Wait For You'. I say 'token' because that's how it seems to me - a very generic sounding 'power-ballad-by-numbers' that feels to me like it was written as a 'box-ticking' exercise to satisfy someone at a record company. The first time I heard this song it already sounded like I'd heard it a hundred times from other bands. Apparently the fans like it, so what do I know? This would definitely be the moment to visit the bar or toilet as far as I'm concerned, but apart from the token soppy ballad to keep the girls in the crowd happy I thought Stone Broken's set was excellent! They have a great 'classic rock' sound, without sounding like they are influenced by or ripping off any classic rock band in particular. Their songs are good, with some hard crunchy riffs and fine vocals. This is definitely a band I'd go and see again - and I'd know there would be a handy bar/toilet break in the middle of their set when they play that song.

Next I head off to the Black Heart to try and catch the infamous Soap Girls. After hearing very mixed reports about this act I want to see what all the fuss is about. I arrive to find the place absolutely rammed! It's difficult even getting in the room and there is sod all chance of seeing much. As far as I can tell the Soap Girls are just a guitar wielding duo rather than a full band, but people seem to find duos perfectly acceptable as rock acts these days and the Graveltones and Royal Blood seem to be doing pretty well. Actually, the Soap Girls sound pretty good and seem to have catchy and tuneful punk/grunge sounding songs. Unfortunately, the venue is far too full to see the band or enjoy their performance - it's so uncomfortable I give it up as a bad job and leave after a couple of minutes.

I head off to Dingwalls to try and catch what's left of The Main Grains. Fortunately this venue is far less crowded. This band are good fun with some catchy punk 'n' roll tunes - in much the same style as frontman Danny McCormack's old band the Yo-Yo's. This band played at Camden Rocks last year, but this year Danny is having to perform sitting down. After some ongoing medical problems and having some toes amputated over the last year or so he has unfortunately had to have part of one leg removed as well. Danny has been determined not to let this hold him back and has been playing gigs sitting down until he can be fitted for an artificial leg. What a trooper!
The Main Grains have some catchy songs, and with the odd Yo-Yo's tune thrown in as well they create a good atmosphere in what is one of the festival's better venues.

Next I head back to the Black Heart to catch the Role Models. Fortunately the place isn't as full as it was earlier with all the middle aged blokes perving over the Soap Girls! The Role Models are good fun and have some excellent songs veering over to the poppy commercial side of punk'n' roll.
I keep missing this band recently as they always seem to be first on the bill and I can't get there in time to see them, so it's good to finally see them again today. I stay in the Black Heart for the next band - one of the highlights of the festival for me. It's the second time I have seen Duncan Reid and the Big Heads recently at this venue If one of the band members looks rather familiar it's because he was on stage with the previous band as well - Nick Hughes 'day-job' band is the Role Models, but the Big Heads have been 'borrowing' him for gigs recently as Mauro Venegas is often needed to play guitar in his other band The Godfathers. Nick is no stranger to depping in bands and I have previously seen him playing with the Yo-Yo's and/or the Loyalties.
After selling out this venue for their album launch show earlier this year the band have again managed to get a lot of people into the room. With terrific songs and a great live presence it's not hard to see why. Duncan certainly learned a thing or two about writing catchy songs while he was in his old band The Boys.
The new album 'Bombs Away' is rather good and contains some cracking tunes, but I prefer hearing them played live without the glossy studio sheen and polished production which renders the sound a little too sweet and pop sounding for my taste.
It also helps the Duncan Reid and the Big Heads are a very good live band with a high energy level - this is genuinely exciting pop/punk from a very dynamic band. As usual some Boys songs are included in the set, along with the infamous Hollywood Brats classic ''Sick On You' - as covered by The Boys on their first album.
After all the excitement of Duncan Reid and the Big Heads I just have time to hot-foot it up to the extreme Northern fringe of the Camden Rocks Festival - actually the Fiddler's Elbow is more Chalk Farm/Kentish Town than Camden, but it is worth the walk. The reason for my hike is Last Great Dreamers
This band were apparently well known back in the early to mid 1990's and part of the same scene as The Quireboys and Dogs D'Amour, but somehow they completely slipped under my radar. I can't understand quite how this happened and I have only recently heard songs of their's such as 'Oblivion Kids' and 'Dope School'. These songs impressed me so much that I really wanted to see the band live - so here I am.
I was not disappointed - this band are very very good indeed. They look great and they sound amazing. Their songs are excellent too - catchy and poppy, but with a gritty slightly punk edge. There is a definite '70s glam rock influence and also a 1980s/90s trash glam look like the Quireboys and Dogs D'Amour, but there is also something more sleazy, and decadent about them - plus an element of danger.
Last Great Dreamers are possibly the best band I see all day at this year's Camden Rocks Festival - they really are the whole package and the band drips charisma and stage presence. They come across as very slick, polished and professional, but without being bland and squeaky clean. On stage they act, look, and sound like major rock stars - and it's hard to believe a band this good never reached that status, and in fact remained unknown outside the underground rock scene.
Another thing about Last Great Dreamers that really surprises me - although this band are really good, there is hardly anybody here to see them. Maybe twenty people (if that) are in on the secret, but those present are obviously fans of the band and not just random punters who casually wandered in to see who was playing. I'm sure no one who saw this band left disappointed.

Sadly, after seeing some really good bands over the course of the day the remainder of my Camden Rocks Festival turns out to be somewhat of an anti-climax. After seeing a band at the extreme Northern end of the Camden area, I head back to the extreme Southern fringe. I could get the bus or train but I'm not that unfit or lazy and I prefer to walk as I know I have time. It's trying to rain a bit but it gives up before I pass the Roundhouse.

I arrive back at The Crowndale, this time to see Lilith and the Knight. I've been wanting to see this intriguing band since being given one of their CDs a while ago. Looking forward to finally seeing them I get into the venue - only to be asked to leave by security. Why? Because I was wearing a baseball cap! I had been in the venue for longer than the entire set by The Kut earlier in the day - while being identically dressed - and no one from security had said a word. When I pointed this out to the jobsworth security twat he said it was a rule insisted upon by the Council before they would grant the licence. So how come every other Camden venue I've been in all day hasn't had a similar condition imposed upon them? And how come I was in The Crowndale in plain sight of security for nearly an hour this afternoon without any of them pointing this out? No one tells me how I can or can't dress - especially in what is supposed to be a ROCK venue - this is the exact opposite of what rock & roll is about. I am forced to leave before Lilith and the Knight take to the stage - it looks like I will have to wait a while longer before I finally get to see them.  There is only one other band left to see on my list for the 2017 Camden Rocks Festival - The Garage Flowers. Guess what venue they are appearing at? Yes - The Crowndale!  And that's not for another two hours. I decide to cut my losses and head home early.

I find out later that a friend of mine also had trouble with security on trying to get into the same venue to see The Garage Flowers - and although he was wearing a hat, it wasn't a baseball cap (which is supposed to the specifically named headwear not allowed) and even a member of the band had trouble getting into the venue because security didn't like his hat either! So 'security' aren't at all consistent in what headgear is or isn't allowed - what a shit way to run a venue! Fortunately Camden has plenty of other venues that are far more welcoming, so I shall be spending my money in them instead in future. There was none of this bullshit when the place was the former Purple Turtle - that was a great music venue, but the people running The Crowndale don't seem to have any idea how to run a venue. No baseball caps allowed? I see they have some rap/hip-hop nights booked for the future - I'd be interested to see what happens when that crowd all turn up wearing their usual baseball caps!

So unfortunately my 2017 Camden Rocks Festival ended on a sour note - through absolutely no fault of any of the bands - all of which I enjoyed. The ones I got to see anyway. So lets compare my 'Final score' with last year's festival:

2016. 200 bands in 20 venues. 28 bands on my list - 11 actually seen.
2017: 250 bands in 25 venues. 32 bands on my list - 11 actually seen.

I did manage to see 2 of the bands this year that I missed from my list last year.

Overall, it's not looking such good value for money this year. The ticket price has gone up considerably - along with the number of bands and venues. But there are only so many hours in the day, and although there were 50 more bands playing this year I didn't get time to actually see any more bands than last year. So is it worth the extra ticket price? To me personally, the answer is NO. I'm sure some of the money for the higher ticket price is used to attract bigger headline bands - but from my point of view that's pointless as I don't get time to see them anyway. And part of the reason I like the festival is that I enjoy being able to see many new underground bands for the first time. Is Camden Rocks Festival maybe getting too big? I think it might be. It could be in danger of losing sight of what makes it so great - possibly last year's festival was as big as it can get and still remain grounded and it may have reached it's tipping point this year.

Anyway, in spite of the problems with a certain venue (which has since banned/blocked me on Twitter for daring to complain) I had a great day out as usual.
Same time next year then?


1 comment:

  1. Worth checking out my video of the day too...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEzqy1wK_Bw

    ReplyDelete