Sunday 1 January 2017

10/12/2016 The Fiascos & The Kut @ Proud

I have to say that Proud isn't one of my favourite venues - mostly due to it's shit and vastly overpriced bar. However, this Saturday see's a strong bill there at a bargain price as part of a Camden Rocks Presents bill.
Unfortunately I had to work earlier, followed by other stuff like shopping as my fridge was empty. I was determined to get there to see The Fiascos as I've been wanting to see them for some time and missed them recently at their first gig in Camden. However, I arrive to find things are running a little late and Dedwardians are still playing.
I've enjoyed seeing this band a few times before, but in the very short part of their set that I catch tonight they seem a bit lacking in focus and direction compared to the previous times I'm seen them. In the past they've impressed me as a very good rock 'n' roll band. Either they are having an off night or I've missed the best stuff in their set tonight?

Next is the main band I've come to see. Formed from the ashes of the much missed Kitty Hudson this as a sort of South London punk 'n' roll supergroup.
The band have formed recently and have only played a handful of shows so far - this is the first one I've managed to get to.
I think it's fair to say that if you were a fan of Kitty Hudson then you'll like The Fiascos too. It's catchy pop/punk/rock 'n' roll along similar lines, played by a couple of the same people, but with all new songs
Some of you will recognise Richie from his days fronting Kitty Hudson, and previously the more glam/punk Glitterbug - as well as more recently playing bass with Brijitte West and the Desperate Hopefuls.
Actually, most of The Fiascos were also in Brijitte Wests most recent band, but it's good to see Richie back on six string duties where he belongs.
Fellow six stringer and singer Keef will also be familiar to many as the frontman from London pop/punkers Dead Identities.
And of course drummer Robin Guy will be familiar due to playing with - well, nearly everybody! Rachel Stamp, Sack Trick, Bruce Dickinson, TAT, AntiProduct, Lilygun, Maleficent, G.M.T., Tigertailz, and most recently Sham 69 to name just a few....
Bassist Ben has been seen playing with punk legends Spizzenergi.
As expected, The Fiascos turn out to be a lot of fun! The energy level is high and the attitude is intense! The songs are catchy and tuneful, as one would expect with this bands pedigree.
Personally, I wouldn't have minded hearing some Kitty Hudson tunes as well as the new ones - that band had loads of cracking songs and it's a shame to see them going to waste, but I guess The Fiascos want to emphasise that this is a new band. They are off to a strong start with songs like 'Built For Speed' though.
The band turn in a short sharp shock of a set of fast punky tuneful numbers that demonstrate that they are indeed 'built for speed' - I look forward to seeing more of them in 2017.

Next on the bill are Tigress, who don't make much of an impression on me to be honest.
Competent enough musicianship, but I can't remember any of their songs.
Next are Heel. Again, competent musicianship - a guitarist who sounds like he's into metal and has had lots of guitar lessons but looks like he want's to be in a hip-hop outfit or something? I don't get it.
The singer is very good, but looks like she's more interested in being a pop star than fronting a rock band. I can't remember any of their songs either. This could possibly have something to do with having virtually emptied both my hip flasks by this point though.... This is certainly a band who look nothing like they sound - you can make your own mind if if that's a good thing or not.
I gave them a chance, but the last two bands weren't my sort of thing at all - rather an anti-climax after The Fiascos and I would have probably given up and left if it wasn't for the final band of the night.
I saw The Kut for the first time a couple of months ago and quite enjoyed their set - I was pleased to find I hadn't missed them today as I feared they would be on earlier.
The band now seem to have a new bass player in place and she seems to fit in well.
There is more to frontgal Princess Maha than just vocals and rhythm guitar - she is an accomplished musician who can rip out a mean guitar solo when she feels like it.
Although things were running late The Kut made it worth hanging around until the end of the evening with their energetic grunge inspired grunge/pop rock. This band are fun and certainly worth seeing again.
Once again a Camden Rocks promoted show provided great value for money - £7 on the door (or only £5 advance) for this 'all-dayer' with 11 bands on the bill - it's just a shame I couldn't get there a few hours earlier 'cos there were some other bands on the bill I would have liked to have seen as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment