Tuesday 1 November 2016

15/10/2016 Jelly & Healthy Junkies @ The Unicorn

Saturday night finds me heading for Camden - eventually. I arrive at the station with a couple of minutes to spare for once - only to find that (not so) Great Northern have cancelled my train. Again. I think this has happened 3 out of the last 4 times I have tried to use this service. If anything Great Northern are even worse the First Capital Connect where when they ran the trains on this line, and they certainly don't deserve to keep the franchise either. Half an hour until the next train - what to do? There is a Wetherspoons pub virtually in sight of the station - a couple of minutes later I'm in it. Time for a pint and 30 minutes later I'm back on the platform at the station waiting for the next train. Only the train indicator display says that the train is now only going as far as Alexandra Palace instead of Moorgate as advertised. I only need to get to Finsbury Park but this train is fuck all use to me. So back to the pub I go. Another pint and half an hour later I finally get on a train to Finsbury Park - a whole hour after I was supposed to. Thanks a lot Great Northern.

As a consequence of the shit service (again) from Great Northern trains I completely miss the first two bands on the bill at The Unicorn. I finally arrive to find Jelly halfway though their set.
This is the first gig Jelly have played since their original singer Stevie left the band so I'm not sure quite what to expect. The new guy is a pretty good frontman, but completely different to his predecessor. The songs are still good of course, and the standard of musicianship high as ever. The band's material is quite retro and reminiscent of 1970's rock, but with a modern twist to it.
As usual Jelly draw a decent crowd, and they are treated to some newer songs that aren't featured on the band's debut album - it will be interesting to see where they take things from here...

As usual as it's their own monthly club night Healthy Junkies finish off the night. Their 'Punk 'N' Roll Rendezvous' nights at The Unicorn are always entertaining with a good mixture of bands.
Healthy Junkies themselves are good fun with their grungy poppy punky mix of catchy tunes.
With three albums under their belts now there is no shortage of decent songs for the band to pick from. I actually remembered to put my camera in my pocket before leaving home this time, but my attempts at taking pictures without flash didn't come out well at all as you can see. I did turn it on when I got into a better unobstructed position closer to the band later on in their set - what a difference it made!
My other pictures were worse than what I could have done with my phone camera, but there's no way I can afford a better camera at the moment.

Still, it was a good night at The Unicorn as usual - well at least the part of it that Great Northern trains finally allowed me to get to was anyway. With free admission at this venue and cheap beer at normal pub prices you can't go far wrong really - although the beer prices do seem to have gone up since my last visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment