Monday 12 September 2016

30/7/2016 Syteria @ The Lounge (Archway Tavern)

Girlschool's lead guitarist Jackie Chambers has a new band (Girlschool are still gigging and recording BTW) and this is their first ever show in London. It's (sort of) my first ever visit to this venue - well this room anyway. Actually, this is the former Archway Tavern of Muswell Hillbillies/Kinks fame - a place I have visited quite a few times over the years under various different names. In more recent times I have been there it has been 'Dusk to Dawn', The Intrepid Fox, and now a large room upstairs round at the back is called The Lounge. The big old ground floor bar closed as the infamous Intrepid Fox earlier this year - maybe it really is the end this time? Since then it's supposedly going to be turned into a restaurant, although at the time of my visit it looked derelict inside. PS: A week later the ground floor appeared to be being refurbed into a bar. Anyway, upstairs I go. My first impression isn't good - I get quite a shock being stung for a fiver just for a bottle of Old Speckled Hen. That price ensures I don't go to the bar again all night and doesn't encourage me to return to this venue. To be fair, the door price of £7 is very reasonable for 3 bands while the actual venue is quite nice with a big stage and good sound and lighting systems. Unfortunately, I don't manage to get there in time to see the first couple of bands.
Syteria are based in Yorkshire and still a pretty new band. Although formed by Jax from Girlschool, Syteria are nothing like her 'day job' band. Although this is a female fronted band they do have a bloke on drums. The music is tuneful and catchy, but definitely heavier and more 'metal' than Girlschool. Jackie's lead playing is melodic, but she is more free to rip it up and go a bit wild than she is with Girlschool who have a more established style and format - she looks like she is having a lot of fun - not that she doesn't when she plays with Girlschool, but as this is her own project she has more freedom for self expression.
Everybody in this band plays and performs well - singer Julia really throws herself into it and looks like she is auditioning to be a member of Judas Priest! This band look as well as sound more 'metal' than Girlschool who although lumped into the whole NWoBHM genre are more of a classic hard rock band with a raw punky edge. However, Jackie shows her punk rock roots when Syteria launch into a cover of the Ramones classic 'Rockaway Beach' to end the show.
Here is some video from this gig - not taken by me BTW - it's on the band's website.
I look forward to catching Syteria again when they get back to London. I expect it will be at a different venue, although bar prices aside I quite liked The Lounge.

PS: I was back at The Lounge a week later, and possibly as a result of me moaning about the price of a beer a whole pound had been taken off the price of a pint. Sometimes venues/management/promoters do actually listen....

No comments:

Post a Comment