Friday 16 September 2016

1/8/2016 Choking Susan & Healthy Junkies @ The Unicorn

I don't think I've ever been to The Unicorn on a Monday night before, or seen Healthy Junkies on a Monday night either. However, here I am for what is a warm up show for some bands playing at the Rebellion festival. It's a strong bill for a Monday night, but unfortunately I don't get to the gig as early as I'd have liked and I miss Serratone and Red Lion Licks. I just catch the last song by Neon Animal - a new band featuring Mark Thorn of Bubblegum Screw. As far as I can tell it's pretty much business as usual and if you liked Mark's previous band then you'll probably like this one too.

Healthy Junkies are great fun as usual with their blend of punk, glam, and grunge.
With three albums in the can and what must be hundreds of live shows under their belt this band have become a tight and polished live act with a strong repertoire of catchy pop/punk songs.
This band have done well from running their own monthly club night at this nice little Camden venue - ensuring that they are always playing regularly themselves as well as putting on many other bands at their shows and generating extra exposure for all. Some of the bands who play at their 'Punk N Roll Rendezvous' club come back time and time again as they build their own following.

A band who don't appear in the UK as much are Choking Susan - they travel over from their native Detroit about once a year for a tour.
Fronted by the remarkable Colleen Caffeine this is full on punk rock with added shock rock and glam.
'In your face' doesn't come close to describing this band and their singer's attitude, but the music backing her up is tight and hard.
You cannot fail to be entertained by Choking Susan - Colleen absolutely throws herself into this 100%. I've been aware of this band for quite a few years now, but this is the first time I've actually managed to see them. I shall have to make sure it's not the last - even if I have to wait another year.
Towards the end of the band's set it becomes apparent that a 'special guest' has just arrived in the venue and is going to join the band on drums. This is the icing on the cake for me as my evening ends with me watching Robin Guy playing drums on the Stooges classic 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' - which is even more special for me as I've been on the same stage at this venue playing the same song a couple of times in the past year or so.
This has been a lot of unexpected fun for a Monday night, and being the Unicorn it's a cheap night out too with free admission and beer at pub prices rather than Camden or West End prices - what's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment