Monday 22 February 2016

20/2/2016 Healthy Junkies & Bubblegum Screw @ The Unicorn

I've not really been to any proper gigs this year as finances are pretty tight back in 'Dark Towers' at the moment. However, this gig was free and it was only £3.50 for a pint of Old Speckled Hen - plus I knew the bands would be good. Things didn't get off to a good start at my end as I missed my train by a matter of seconds. It was half an hour until the next one, and there was a pub only yards from the station so... This was potentially a recipe for disaster, but against all the odds I made it back to the station in time for the next train - which was of course late! If only the previous train had been late instead then I would have got to The Unicorn in time to see new band I Destroy - I hear they were worth seeing too. I'd already missed PollyPikPocketz who I'd enjoyed seeing previously at this venue.

So I eventually arrive at The Unicorn in time to see Bubblegum Screw.
I've seen this band quite a few times over the years, and it seems to be a different lineup virtually every time I've seen them. Frontman Mark Thorn is the only constant in the band - a more Jaggeresque ball of energy you are never likely to see. It's dirty punky rock 'n' roll all the way, with a strong New York influence. The rhythm section are tight, and the new lead guitarist sounds great while also having a really cool Sleaze/Glam/Punk look - definite star quality there - he's certainly going to keep Mark on his (pointy snakeskin) toes! Bubblgum Screw have some memorable songs and it's good to see them again.

Last but certainly not least it's time for Healthy Junkies to take to the stage to close their monthly club at this Camden venue.
Tonight is the launch party for the band's new album Box of Chaos and the place is pretty full. Something else that is new is the bass player as Dave Renegade has left the band. The new guy certainly plays well, but looks a bit like he's just going through the motions - maybe he needs more time to fit in.
Healthy Junkies continue with their knack for writing catchy songs and 'Just A Fool' is a good example from the new album. Three albums in and the band continue to refine their sound as well as their stage presence.
This band continue to build on their fanbase by constantly gigging and adding new songs to their repertoire of Glam/Pop/Grunge/Punk tunage - their hard work is starting to pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment