Saturday 4 July 2015

26/6/2015 Last night ever at the Purple Turtle

Friday night and there are far too many things going on - unfortunately I can't get to all the gigs I want to get to. Tufnell Park tube station being closed for the rest of the year doesn't help me include anything happening there if I'm trying to get to many gigs as possible in one night and time is of the essence - so I have to travel straight through there and get off the train at Mornington Crescent for the Purple Turtle.

I was very sad to learn that this great Camden music venue is closing. I've not been there often in the last couple of years or so, but it used to be a regular hangout of mine a few years ago when it (or it's various promoters) used to book far more of the type of rock 'n' roll bands that I like. It's always been a very reasonable price on the door and the Newcastle Brown Ale used to be reasonably priced too. I had seen countless great bands there over the years - as well as some not so great ones. It's always been one of the few venues I have actually looked forward to visiting. It's a nice size, has good views of the stage from various points, the toilets aren't too disgusting, the bar is above average and there are places to sit and chat. Many changes and improvements have been made since I first visited the venue when the stage was at the front by the windows. Unfortunately the lease has now expired, and the landlords (Camden Council) seem unwilling to let the club remain for the remaining three years until the building is knocked down for redevelopment. I don't see why what appears to be a perfectly sound building needs to be demolished, although I suspect it's just Camden Council wanting to flog the land and make a lot of money. What is more puzzling is why the Council (who claim to support the arts and 'alternative' culture) would apparently rather have the building empty for the next three years instead of having a popular music/club venue paying rent? It must be gutting for the people who run the venue as I can see quite a lot of money has been spent on upgrading the seating area since my last visit, and I believe they planned to spend a lot more on further upgrades to the venue in the future as well...

So, Friday night finds me heading down to the Purple Turtle for probably the last time ever.
It's only £3 on the door tonight - bargain! Even better news is that all drinks are only £3 all night! I look for the usual Newcastle Brown Ale as I get to the bar, but they don't seem to be stocking the old standby any more. I'm not as disappointed by this as I once would have been as the stuff doesn't seem to taste or smell the same these days - possibly because it's not even brewed in Newcastle anymore. The legendary beer seems to have lost it's character... However, I do find an acceptable substitute behind the bar in the form of Dublin Porter - at only £3 I drink as many of them as possible in the time I am in the venue - well it's helping to support live music isn't it? Actually, I think they just want to get rid of all the booze before the venue closes down. I do my best to help them out....

Well known promoter on the underground rock scene Mick Monsta is one of the main people behind tonight's show, and he is determined to make the venue go out 'LOUD'. I hadn't heard of most of the bands on the bill:

The Day Of Locusts
Empire Warning
Healthy Junkies
Mordecai
Die Kur
The Mercy House
Sumer
Leevil

However, I did want to catch Healthy Junkies even though I only saw them the other day elsewhere in Camden.
Actually, it made a nice change seeing them somewhere other than The Unicorn - although I did see them at the Camden Rocks festival recently too.
The band are on good form tonight - their new drummer has been really powering their sets along since he joined a few months ago.
Even though Healthy Junkies are one of the first bands on tonight, quite a few of their loyal fans are here early enough to see them. They are not disappointed.
This mob are pretty seasoned performers by now, and I'm sure their catchy blend of pop/punk'glam/grunge wins a few more people over tonight.
Although the band aren't using their normal backline they get a good solid meaty sound.
All too soon their set is over - and so is my night in Camden as I have to rush off to get back for a local gig...

No comments:

Post a Comment