Friday 19 June 2015

13/6/2015 Jelly & Healthy Junkies @ The Unicorn

My evening doesn't get off to a good start. I'm already running late, and when I arrive at the station I find my train has been cancelled! Thanks a lot Great Northern! - they are just as bad as First Capital Connect who ran the service until losing the franchise recently. Great Northern deserve to lose it too as their trains are often late.

When I finally arrive at The Unicorn I have missed most the bands and Jelly have almost finished their set too.
There is a good crowd in to see this band playing their 1970's/80's style rock with a modern twist. Album number two is on the way from this band and some new songs are played tonight along with stuff like 'Get Outta Jail' from their excellent debut album.
All too soon Jelly's set is over - I look forward to hearing more new stuff from them soon - and hopefully catching their whole show next time...

At least I get to see all of the set from Healthy Junkies - tonight headlining their own monthly club night at this venue. Not everyone get's to see the whole set though; there is a bloke I noticed earlier nearly getting to a fight who is obviously off his face - the security guys persuade him it's time to leave after he keeps dancing around and crashing into people. The bastard trod on my blue suede shoes so the fucker deserved to get thrown out!
The band's 'Rock 'N' Roll Rendezvous' is always great value for money - free to get in, cheap beer, and three or four bands who are all worth a look.
Healthy Junkies themselves are always good fun - almost too good tonight as a moshpit breaks out and gets a bit out of control - selfish bastards spoiling the enjoyment of people who are just trying to watch the band..
The crowd and the moshpit fuckers stop me getting many pictures, but the band give a good performance as usual - their new drummer is shit hot - very fast and really driving things along.
Like the previous band, Healthy Junkies are also adding new songs to their set now album number three is in the pipeline - it will be interesting to hear how the band progress with their punk/pop/grunge hybrid sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment