Sunday 14 September 2014

27/4/2013 Toxic Slut, Glam Rock Youth Club & Bubblegum Screw

SubjectToxic Slut, Glam Rock Youth Club & Bubblegum Screw
DateCreated5/27/2013 5:27:00 PM

3 gigs I want to get to tonight, and 2 of them are only yards apart. Unfortunately the stage times look like making things a bit tricky...

It's not raining so I decide to take the chance that I might get a soaking and go on the bike. My first port of call is the 12 Bar Club to see Toxic Slut - 'Back in action for your satisfaction'!


This lot are always fun to watch! 
Obviously excited to be playing their first gig in about a year, their enthusiasm is infectious. The set is a mixture of their own pop/punk style rock 'n' roll, and some choice glam/sleaze/metal covers.


All too soon their set is over and I'm rushing off out into the damp night to get to the next gig. This is only down the other end of Denmark Street and over the road into Manette Street where The Borderline is situated.

Unfortunately, Toxic Slut went on slightly late and by the time I get to The Borderline The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing have almost finished their set and I don't think it's worth paying £9 on the door for only a song or two if I'm lucky.

My wheels are conveniently in the motorcycle parking bay directly opposite the venue and I'm soon on my way again...

There's no quicker way to get round London than on a motorcycle so it doesn't take long before I'm rolling up Holloway Road to Nambucca. I arrive in time for David Ryder-Prangley (of Rachel Stamp fame) and his occasional Glam Rock Youth Club. Will Crewdson the guitarist from Rachel Stamp is also in the band.

As far as the musical content is concerned this isn't a million miles away from what I've just seen at the 12 Bar Club - although this is a covers only set. This band's setlist is less metal and more full-on 1970's Glam Rock - and a lot of fun!

This band and DRP himself have a loyal following so a good atmosphere is always assured at their shows.

It's a long time after midnight before 'Special Guests' Bubblegum Screw take to the stage, although it was planned like this as there were other bands on at the venue earlier before the club night kicked off at 11.00.

Normally I'd be long gone by this time as this venue is an arse to get home from via public transport after midnight, but being on the bike tonight changes everything as I know I can be home in about 20 minutes whatever time I leave. Unfortunately the crowd has thinned out due to the late hour by the time the band hit the stage. It's a shame because they are pretty good tonight.

This band's lineup has changed quite a bit since I last saw them - I think only the frontman and bassist remain. The last guitarist to leave hasn't been replaced and singer Mark Thorn has taken over 2nd guitar duties, although he puts his axe asside for some numbers while he struts and preens with his best Jagger/Johansen moves.

The sound is very New York - think Dolls, Ramones, and Heartbreakers - a slight punk influence to this dirty rock 'n' roll, although there is some Stones in there too.

No cheese, just sleaze and high energy rock 'n' roll all the way - the pace never lets up. This is a ballad free zone!

I think it's around 1.30 by the time Bubblegum Screw finish their set, but tonight I'm not so bothered as I have no worries about train times for a change. It's been a cheap night out too - especially considering I've been to 2 gigs. Only around a fiver on the door at each gig, no drinking overpriced beer 'cos I'm on the bike, and I spend a lot less on petrol than I would have on my Oyster card - not to mention being home in a fraction of the time with no long walks or waiting for trains! Maybe I should do this more often?
PS: Nambucca closed in early 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment