Monday 11 August 2014

8/4/2011 Michael Monroe Band @ Islington Academy

SubjectMichael Monroe Band @ Islington Academy
DateCreated4/10/2011 5:54:00 PM

This is a gig I've been looking forward to for a while, but as it's at an Academy venue with rip-off bar prices I stop off in the nearby LLoyds bar first. Academy bars = £4+ for horrible pints - at this place I get a decent pint of real ale for £1.99!  After quenching my thirst I nip downstairs to the venue. I'm just in time to catch the last song or two from New York Alcoholic Anxiety Attack - who in spite of their name actually hail from the north of England.

They are the only band tonight who make any effort at dressing the stage, but unfortunately their sleazy glam pop stylings make little impression on the more rock 'n' roll hungry crowd who don't really 'get' what this band are about.

Next up are the harder rocking Voodoo 6. This lot are more to the crowd's liking.

This is the first time I've seen this band with their new singer. The rougher vocals give the band less of a metal edge and more of a Southern rock rasp - in fact I think they now sound almost exactly like Black Stone Cherry.

The headliners are pretty good as expected.

There is less Hanoi Rocks material compared to last time, although if you look at the picture below you could imagine this is Hanoi Rocks.

The former Hanoi Rocks frontman has put together a pretty good band featuring a fellow Hanoi bandmate (and more recently New York Dolls) Sami Yaffa on bass, along with another former New York Doll in guitarist Steve Conte and Wildhearts frontman Ginger - enjoying being 'just' a guitarist like he was in his early days in the Quireboys.

I can't get used to seeing Ginger playing a Telecaster instead of his trademark Les Paul though! Michael Monroe is still one of the best frontmen out there - a total 'rock star', which is exactly what people have come to see. They aren't disappointed. 

The setlist features a lot of stuff from the new 'Sensory Overdrive' album - some of which is re-recorded versions of earlier songs from Michael's solo career. Naturally there is also the odd Hanoi Rocks song, and a cover of The Damned's 'Machine Gun Etiquette' which goes down a storm! Surprisingly, there is no 'Taxi Driver' tonight though.

I don't think tonight's show is quite as good as last year's show at the same venue, but I think everyone goes home happy. Apart from those of us that go to the pub happy instead.  I am pleased to find that after refusing point blank to buy a drink at the venue's outrageous prices I find quality real ales at decent prices a three different pubs a stone's throw from the gig.  I even find myself standing next to Steve Conte in one of them, although I don't spot any other band members. Amazingly enough, after drinking in three pubs after the show I still manage to (just) get the train home. Result!

No comments:

Post a Comment