Saturday 16 August 2014

7/9/2011 Bermondsey Joyriders @ The 100 Club

SubjectBermondsey Joyriders @ The 100 Club
DateCreated10/31/2011 3:34:00 PM

I seem to be finding myself at the 100 Club a lot more regularly this year as they seem to be booking more bands I like these days. This is good. Less good is the recent hike in bar prices and the fact that the real ale pumps seem to be falling into disuse. That's less of my money they'll be taking at the bar then. 
Tonight's support band was The Phobics - unfortunatlely I just missed them, which was a shame as I'm told they were good. In between bands we are treated to a Burlesque performance from Luna Rosa - I didn't take any pictures as I would have felt like a right perv! 

The Bermondsey Joyriders are the reason for my attendance tonight. Unlike some bands who finish their set by smashing up their instruments, this lot start the show by smashing them up! This is all in aid of promoting their new 'Noise & Revolution' album. Pity I wasn't ready with my camera in time to catch the destruction.

The revolving door for Bermondsey Joyriders drummers seems to have been
spinning again: Heavy Metal Kids drummer Keith Boyce departed and had
his place filled by Damned legend Rat Scabies. Then he was replaced for a
few gigs by Eddie from the Vibrators (who I thought was noticeably better
than Rat) - now they have the drummer from Squeeze on the drum stool. And
very good he is too.

I understand why the band are keen to promote their new album, but I really missed some of the older songs like 'You What' and 'Cafe Racer' which have been dropped to make way for the new stuff. However, the new songs like 'Proper English' are good and are growing on me, and whatever they are playing Bermondsey Joyriders are a damn good rock & roll band with a distinctive sound and look of their own. 

Once again the band are joined by ex-MC5 manager and former White Panther John Sinclair and between song he recites some poetry he's written specially. I think this all works surprisingly well.

A pretty good Wednesday night at the 100 Club, but unless they resolve the issues I have with the bar this is going to become another venue at which I spend little or no money at the bar from now on.
I'm not going to die of thirst if I don't have a beer for a couple of hours, and when the band finish I head for the Intrepid Fox or 12 Bar Club where they serve beer I actually want to drink at a more reasonable price.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment