Wednesday 20 August 2014

29/10/2011 Alice Cooper @ Alexandra Palace

SubjectAlice Cooper @ Alexandra Palace
DateCreated11/19/2011 5:14:00 PM

Although I'd lived within sight of the place for many years and been to various other events there, I'd never actually been to a gig at Alexandra Palace. It's only a few minutes train ride away as well, so it's it's even more surprising - although to be honest it's very rare that a band of any interest to me play there. Tonight is different. It's a couple of nights before Halloween proper, and Alice Cooper's Night Of Fear is coming to town.
 
So I find myself at this somewhat Gothic hilltop location in North London.
 

The New York Dolls are supporting - which until recently I would have been very excited about, but less so since I saw their last very disappointing London show - which you may have read about here. 
I arrive at eight o'clock and can hear the band playing as I walk along the front of the building, but by the time I manage to get in they have finished - disappointing but less so these days. I hear later that they weren't that great... 

Drinks are stupid prices so I decide I can do without - it's not as difficult as you might think.  After exploring the venue a bit I'm too far away when Alice starts the show. I have a good view so I'm happy enough, but too far away to make taking pictures worthwhile.  You all know what he looks like anyway - so I just concentrate on enjoying the show for a change.

This is the third time I've seen Alice Cooper, and to be honest the other two shows were better. That's not to say that tonight's show wasn't good - Alice remains the consumate showman. I think there must have been a lower budget production for this tour as the stage set seemed more basic, there were far less stage props and a much smaller 'cast' of performers. And Alice only got killed once!  However, we did get a very large snake - and a pesky photographer making a nuisance of himself. He got his comeupance later though!  There was a giant Frankenstein's monster and a few costume changes. An Alice Cooper show is still definitely one of the most entertaining you can see, and one of the best value for money shows too - apart from at the merch stand!  £25 just for a T-shirt!  I don't care how cool the design is - I'm not allowing myself to be ripped off like that.  The bloke selling them outside for £10 was doing a good trade and obviously still making a profit. 

The setlist incuded a load of the crowdpleasing classics as ever, but also included some choice cuts from the new 'Welcome 2 My Nightmare' album - including the single 'I'll Bite Your Face Off'. The band has seen a change or two as well, and now features not just two but three guitarists! Of particular note is new axe demonette Orianthi. She used to play guitar in Michael Jackson's band, but in Alice's band she shows she can rock it up with the best of them - her solo spot is very impressive.  One of the things I really like about Alice Cooper is that he has such a great band! He gives everybody a chance to shine - both as a band while he's offstage changing costumes, and in individual solo spots. Even without Alice, this is a hot band in their own right and they could go out on their own if they had to. Orianthi is new to the band and probably unknown to a large proportion of tonight's crowd, but when Alice introduces each member of the band she gets a noticeably louder cheer than any other musician. She's certainly a great addition to the band.

So it was certainly an enjoyable evening even if the show wasn't one of Alice's best. I quite liked the unusual and I thought quite fitting venue, although some people aren't keen on Alexandra Palace as a music venue. I thought the sound and lighting was better than most big rock shows, and it looked easy enough to get an overpriced drink if you felt the need. Toilets were very good too - if you knew where to find the proper ones and avoid the queues for the temporary ones.  I also liked going able to go to a big show almost locally for once - the train journey home took less than half the time it took to walk from the venue to the station. I even had time to go to the pub when I got home and finally have a beer or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment