Friday 22 August 2014

27/11/2011 Bermondsey Joyriders @ Sunset Strip

SubjectBermondsey Joyriders @ Sunset Strip
DateCreated12/9/2011 4:58:00 PM

An interesting and unusual gig tonight in sleazy Soho. Not so sleazy actually as the area has been somewhat cleaned up and sanitized in recent years - as I walk down Dean Street on Sunday night I would hardly even realise I was in Soho. Until I arrive at Sunset Strip. Nice name - did you see what they did there? The club has been open since the 1960's but they have never had live bands there before - just another form of live entertainment. 
But I'm not here for that (honest) - I'm here to see the Bermondsey Joyriders. Apparently the club is dead on Sundays, so someone thought it might be worth doing something different to see if they could get a few people in. I was expecting the club to be some sort of seedy dive, but I am actually pleasantly surprised. It's clean, bright, and modern. Only £7 to get in - very reasonable considering it's actually a Soho stripclub and you are getting to see a good live band and a couple of acoustic sets from other artists. I'm expecting the bar to be totally outrageously priced and serve nothing I want to drink. It's not as bad as I was expecting; As well as the expected bottled lager they also have cans of John Smiths - better value for money as there is more in a can than the small bottles of beer.  At £4 it's still a rip off but not as bad as I feared - and you don't have to buy a drink if you don't want to - no pressure to do so unlike some Soho establishments. It's no worse than the St Moritz - if anything it's better value for money. I am pleased to find (to my surprise) that there is no toilet attendant in the club - unlike the annoying fuckers in the Barfly and Purple Turtle recently. Everybody hates them - totally wrong at rock gigs. 

Tonight's first act is singer/songwriter Bethia Beadman performing a solo acoustic set. She sounds fine but it's not my sort of thing so I go back upstairs to the bar - they are showing the infamous MC5 documentary on the big TV screen.  While I'm watching this the second act rolls in. Shattered rock star Steve Dior is down to perform a solo (not quite) acoustic (not quite) set. In fact he is accompanied by a drummer and his sister Esther on backing vocals. And he's playing a Stratocaster instead of an acoustic guitar. These are mere details as it's the performance that counts.

For all his personal 'issues' and the lack of a full band to back him up this is a gripping performance. In this stripped down format the sheer quality of his songwriting really shines through - there is nowhere to hide - for us or for him. He only plays a handful of songs, but they are played with feeling, and at times genuine venom. You are left wanting to hear more, but for tonight this is all you are going to get. I tap Steve up later and tell him I'd really like to hear him play a full set with a proper band - he sort of shrugs and says he want's to get that sorted out - sooner or later....

In between the musical acts we are entertained by a group of four dancing girls. They aren't wearing a great deal, but they keep what little they are wearing on. For now.

So, onto the main act.

When I first heard about tonight's show and the venue I wasn't too sure as I've seen Bermondsey Joyriders a few times this year already - the last time only being ten days ago. However, when I heard it was going to be a set featuring the band's first album - songs they haven't been playing at all since their second album came out, then I had to go.

It makes a refreshing change to hear those older songs like 'The Cafe Racer' and 'Who Are Ya' again - I've missed them. Since the band released their second album 'Noise And Revolution' they have been promoting that album and only playing songs from it. Those shows have featured legendary ex-MC5 manager John Sinclair introducing songs with his specially written poetry and have been really good. There is no John Sinclair tonight and it's a 'no frills' basic rock 'n' roll set but it's great to hear this older stuff again. 

At various points in the band's set the dancing girls return - wearing a bit less each time. This really is an unusual show and venue for the band, but it's a lot of fun! Steve Dior also joins the band for a song or two.

It's quite an unusual vibe for a rock 'n' roll show and the venue is a very small seated 50 capacity 'theatre' style club. I think all the tickets probably sold judging by the amount of people present, but many are standing at the back (which is still close to the stage) or at the sides In spite of the place being what it is effectively a seated venue - this is a rock 'n' roll show after all. 
In spite of the nature of the venue, the audience is far from all male - which is an excellent thing as it probably would have seemed a lot more sleazy otherwise. 
In fact, the actual club isn't as sordid as I was expecting.

In spite of the small PA and the confines of the room, the sound mix is surprisingly good - as is the atmosphere. I was thinking this would be a place I couldn't get out of quick enough, but in fact I didn't find it anything like as bad as I was expecting and actually preferred it to some well known London music venues - and it was even a cheaper night out!

The band turn in an excellent performance and seem to be enjoying their unusual surroundings!

The dancing girls seem to be enjoying themselves too - I find out later they are performing for free just for fun and to do something different form their normal 'day job' at the club - although they pass a glass round for contributions. They wear less and less each time on stage, and if I posted my last few pictures my profile here would probably get deleted. 
It's been an unusual gig in very different surroundings, but it's been one of the most fun things I've been to in ages. So you think I'm a sleaze? You know what? I don't care. I'm only here for the rock 'n' roll - anything else is a bonus! 
I really enjoyed this gig and I know plenty of other people who did too. Apparently there might be further nights like this at the club in future...

No comments:

Post a Comment