Monday 11 August 2014

26/2/2011 Catfight @ The Unicorn and something local later...

SubjectCatfight @ The Unicorn
PostedDate3/7/2011 6:29:00 AM

Another busy night with two things I want to go to both happening at the same time. Unfortunately, they aren't both happening in Camden or the West End this time.  First I head down to one of my old stamping grounds in Camden. One of my old bands virtually had a residency at The Unicorn a good few years ago, so it's interesting to re-visit. My old bandmate from those days Dave Veal also made the effort to come down - which was cool as I don't see him very often now. I arrive in time to see Catfight plying their L7, Hole and Runaways influenced sound.

I'm surprised to find more familiar faces than I expected at this slightly out of the way venue on the Camden/Islington borders, but I guess the pub's free admission policy helps get people in the door - and the cheaper bar prices compared to many music venues can only help. No real ale though. 

Catfight don't turn in a particularly exciting performance to be honest, and none of their songs really grab me either. Still, it's a free gig so you can't complain.

I would have liked to stay and see The Duel with their new and improved lineup, but a clash of loyalties drags me back to Barnet to see a more recent bandmate of mine play with some of his good friends and former bandmates from a few years ago - some of you may recognise him. 

Camden is not the easiest or quickest place for me to get home from late at night, so it made sense to jump on the train and end the evening locally where I knew home was only a short bus ride away, or I could easily walk if I missed the last bus. Much better beer too!  And although The Haunting were only playing covers on this occasion, it was all hard rockin' stuff and the atmosphere in the pub was great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment