Wednesday 27 August 2014

15/2/2012 The Cut Outs @ The Barfly

SubjectThe Cut Outs @ The Barfly
DateCreated2/19/2012 5:25:00 PM

It's not often I go to The Barfly these days as it now seems to focus almost exclusively on indie bands instead of the more rock 'n' roll stuff.

Being less than keen on the venue's bar selection (and bar prices) I elect to make a visit to Camden's newish BrewDog pub first. It's busier than last time I was here and they aren't serving the rather wonderful (and extremely strong) Paradox Jura ale on this occasion, so I settle for a weaker Riptide (9.2%) and a couple of Hardcore IPA's (10.4%) which set me up nicely and ensure I won't be tempted to patronise the Barfly's bars. Any beer the venue serve would taste like shit in comparison anyway.
In spite of my BrewDog diversion I arrive at the venue with a few minutes to spare. Actually, things are running late and the previous band are still playing so I have a good half hour to spare which I could have spent in the pub. Mind you - what state would I have been in by then?

The band playing are the usual Barfly generic indie fodder and are instantly forgettable. Unlike The Cut Outs.

The Cut Outs are on good form tonight and although they aren't headlining are enjoying playing to a fair sized crowd - especially for a Wednesday night.

Now on their third drummer (the second male one) the chemistry in the band has changed but they retain their distinctively different sound and stage presence.

Now pushing songs from their recent 'Honey Where Your Mouth Is' EP and newer songs from their forthcoming debut album the style has changed a bit, although it's still catchy punk tinged pop/rock with songs that mainly seem to be about sex.


The Cut Outs have an engaging onstage charisma and a unique sound. They are much better live than their more recent recorded output might lead you to believe, and I have to say I found their earlier material more catchy and infectious - but as a live act they are more than capable of holding their own and they definitely stand out from the crowd.

Not being at all keen on drinking in the Barfly these days I head back to the BrewDog place for some more quality beer before getting the train home - not a bad mid-week night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment