Tuesday 12 August 2014

14/4/2011 Darrell Bath @ The 12 Bar Club

SubjectDarrell Bath @ The 12 Bar Club
DateCreated4/24/2011 8:14:00 AM

Two gigs I'd like to go to tonight, at very different venues. I haven't seen the Jim Jones Revue for ages now, but they are playing at Koko - not a venue I enjoy visiting if I can help it.  So I head for the much friendlier and more intimate confines of the 12 Bar Club to see 'musician's musician' Darrell Bath instead. I don't regret it.

I'd assumed that tonight Darrell would be playing with his usual band, but it turns out he's doing a solo acoustic performance instead - something I've not seen him do so far. He pulls it off pretty well in his natural effortless style. This set is bluesier than normal and fits this small venue well. The sparse nature of the instrumentation lets the quality of songs like 'Still Learning' and 'Never Trust A Blonde' shine through. No pictures from this show I'm afraid - I just felt my camera flash going off would feel a bit intrusive and not fitting with the atmosphere of this intimate gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment