Wednesday 13 August 2014

13/5/2011 Stereo Juggernaut/Pussycat & The Dirty Johnsons @ The St Moritz

SubjectStereo Juggernaut/Pussycat & The Dirty Johnsons @ The St Moritz
DateCreated5/23/2011 3:23:00 PM

Friday the 13th finds me in Soho at 'Club For Losers' - a cool club by Max the promoter, but at a horrible venue.  I know some people like the St Moritz, but I don't enjoy going there at all. Shit bar and shit (no pun intended) toilets.  Newcastle Brown is only available in tins - at £4.30!  I thought the £4.25 the Borderline are charging for a bottle of the stuff was outrageous, but this is really taking the piss!  A new record for the most expensive Brown in Town.  As a result I won't be drinking much tonight - which is probably just as well as the club's toilet facilities are totally inadequate. 

Max always keeps the door prices low at his nights - only a fiver for three bands tonight is excellent, but I wish he could find a better venue - how I miss the days of the old Caernavon Castle in Camden. Still, doors at 10.00 and Stereo Juggernaut due on at 11.00 I'm told, so I don't have to spend long in the place and I'll still have time to catch the last tube. I'm not superstitious regarding the date but... Another band goes on first instead - female fronted rockabilly and not bad. It's virtually midnight by the time Stereo Juggernaut take to the stage - I've paid my money and I'm here now so I might as well stay to see the main band I'm here to see.

In spite of sound problems the band turn in a cracking set. I can't hear much guitar, and I can hear virtually no bass but the band turn in an excellent performance in the circumstances.

Actually, it's probably one of the best sets I've seen from the band and they go down surprisingly well with the crowd - most of whom are here to see the two rockabilly bands on the bill. 


I might not like the venue, but I do like the bill tonight - last band being the rather good and highly entertaining Pussycat & The Dirty Johnsons.

This lot are always fun, playing old style rock 'n' roll and fronted by a crazed cross between Tank Girl and Catwoman! 

I really enjoyed the last two bands, but didn't plan on it taking me over two hours to get home afterwards - a bit on the cold side tonight waiting for the bus and lengthy walks either side of the night bus left me really not wanting to do it again any time soon... 

No comments:

Post a Comment