Thursday 14 August 2014

10/6/2011 Bubblegum Slut/Pink Punks Teaparty

SubjectBubblegum Slut/Pink Punks Teaparty
DateCreated6/22/2011 3:43:00 PM

A bit of a weird night for me this one.  A gig I'd been looking forward to for some time and a night that didn't go quite as planned - all my own fault.
This is the third gig organised by Bubblegum Slut fanzine over the years, at three different venues. I'm one of the very few people who can claim to have been at all three.

Giving blood after work rather threw a spanner in the works, and being typically disorganised I arrived at the Boston Arms Music Room in Tuffnel Park later than I indended - and to make matters worse the band running order caught me out as well as the band I most wanted to see started playing their last song as I arrived.
I was sure Pussycat and the Dirty Johnsons would be one of the final two bands playing. Sadly I was wrong and by the time I had got my camera out their set was over!  This got my evening off to a bad start as I was so pissed off with myself, and I never really got over that in spite of discovering that this venue seems to be the only one that hasn't put it's beer prices up recently - Newcastle Brown is still £3.20. 

Although it's really a Bubblegum Slut gig, tonight's all female fronted show is billed as the 'Pink Punks Teaparty'. Next on the bill is the actual 'Pink Punk' herself Kiria.

I'm glad to say tonight's show goes off a lot more smoothly than the rather chaotic performance at the Pure Rawk Awards which involved Kiria mostly on crutches or on the floor clutching a bottle of Jack Daniels.

It's all good fun, although the famous 'Jelly Baby' is conspicuous by his absence during the song of the same name tonight.

Kiria manages to combine an open and engaging stage presence with a certain vulnerability with her broken looking 'Bunny' ears - which end up being hurled into the crowd.

Final band of the evening is The Priscillas

This lot are always fun - US style surf/pop/punk all the way from Holloway Road.

The Priscillas certainly have a striking and dynamic frontgal in Jenny Drag, and she uses every inch of the stage - and beyond to full effect!


It's sad to say goodbye to my favourite fanzine tonight - Bubblegum Slut has provided interesting and entertaining reading about many of my favourite bands over the years, incuding a lot of excellent bands which the mainstream music press won't touch because they don't fit in with what they think we should be liking this year. I've also discovered some great bands with the free CDs that the mag has given away as well.
The fanzine is going on an indefinite hiatus as editor Alison just doesn't have time for it at the moment along with her various other activities and the business of trying to earn a living. Let's hope Bubblegum Slut returns one day in the future if time permits.... Meantime, it will certainly be missed by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment