Tuesday 15 July 2014

6/9/2009 Selfish @ Purple Turtle & Loyalties @ 12 Bar Club

SubjectSelfish @ Purple Turtle & Loyalties @ 12 Bar Club
PostedDate9/6/2009

Two gigs in one night again - not quite so close together this time, but only a few minutes apart on the bus. First off I'm heading to the Purple Turtle to support some ex-bandmates. I used to be in this venue all the time a couple of years ago when there were always bands I liked playing there, but they don't seem to be booking many bands I want to see these days - also on at least one occasion recently they have been out of Newcastle Brown!  It was one of my favourite venues until recently.

Selfish describe themselves as a 'modern classic rock band' - whatever that is supposed to mean? It still seems like fairly generic 1970's rock to me so I'm not quite sure where the 'modern' bit comes in? However, they are noticably better tonight than the last time I saw them, both in sound and perfomance - probably helped by being in a bigger and better venue this time.


After checking out Selfish in Camden I jump on the 29 to the west end. I'm soon at the 12 Bar Club enjoying their selection of rather fine bottled ales. The Loyalties are on good form tonight and seem to thrive in this intimate small club environment.

There has been a change in the ranks and this is the band's first gig with their new drummer - ex-Towers Of London man Snell, who has been seen more recently occupying the drum stool with Dirty Harry. He seems to fit in well and has apparently managed to learn the set very quickly.

The Loyalties can always be relied on to knock out some cracking tunes with plenty of attitude as well as more hooks than a fishing tackle shop.

The 12 Bar is a venue I always enjoy visiting, and in the past couple of years or so has become a bit of a stronghold for this type of punk 'n' roll band - particularly on theLondon Callin' club nights, although there have been some good bands turning up on Sundays recently as well as the more rock 'n' roll Friday and Saturday nights. Top value for money!

No comments:

Post a Comment