Sunday 20 July 2014

6/12/2009 Alice Cooper @ Hammersmith Odeon

SubjectAlice Cooper @ Hammersmith Odeon
PostedDate12/6/2009

To be honest, I've never been a massive fan of Alice Cooper's music although he's done a few songs I like - or did until certain radio stations played them to death! However, his live shows are the stuff of legend and as I'd never seen one I thought it was about time I did. I didn't bother taking my camera as I just wanted to enjoy taking the show in - and what a show!

The man is a born performer and puts everything into his show. As you would expect, all the Cooper classics are played, and some newer stuff too so fans who've seen him over the years won't get bored. Also, he has an great band! I thought the ticket price for this Hammersmith show was surprisingly reasonable considering the legendary status of this act, and also the production of what must be a very expensive show to put on with all the stage sets, costumes, props, musicians, actors etc. Other bands charge noticably more for a less impressive show. There are various different 'acts' to the Alice Cooper performance, with various scenarios being acted out - mostly resulting in Alice being killed in different ways! In fact he gets killed four times in this show!  He does get a bit of revenge at times though.  Of course there is the famous guilotine set piece without which no Alice Cooper show would be complete.

There is always something going on, and while Alice is changing costumes and stage props are being changed the band get a chance to shine. Each member gets a turn in the spotlight to showcase their talents, but without excessive or self indulgent soloing. Getting a gig in the Alice Cooper band must be a dream job for many rock musicians!

The show is very theatrical and Alice is a great entertainer - even if you aren't a huge fan of the music I highly recommend going to an Alice Cooper show if you ever get the chance. The man seems to tour almost constantly so you probably won't have to wait for too long before he's back again.

This was an hour and a half of absolutely top quality entertainment. It is fantastic value for money and I really appreciate that the ticket price seems to be kept down to a reasonable level rather than ripping people off for as much as possible like some bands do. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the show - in fact I think this was probably the best show I've ever seen - by anyone! 
Yes - Hammersmith Odeon - never heard of this Apollo place.

No comments:

Post a Comment