Sunday 20 July 2014

4/12/2009 New York Dolls & Urban Voodoo Machine @ The Forum

SubjectNew York Dolls & Urban Voodoo Machine @ The Forum
PostedDate12/4/2009

I arrive at the Forum hoping the sound will be better than the shockingly bad mix last time the Dolls played here, and also hoping I won't have to queue outside in the rain for over an hour like last time I saw the Urban Voodoo Machine at this same venue.  I'm lucky as far as the latter is concerned as I walk straight in and am there just before the band start.

It makes a nice change to see this unique band on a stage where they have plenty of room instead of about nine members being squeezed onto a stage far too small.

This band always give a good performance regardless though, and tonight it no exception.

It's an entertaining show as usual.

This is a good band to watch as well as listen to as there is always plenty happening on stage. This isn't just a bunch of musicians on stage playing some songs - they put in a real effort to give you a show, which is something I always appreciate.


Fortunately the legendary New York Dolls get a better sound mix than their last visit to London a couple of years ago. It's still not good, but it's noticably better.

There might only be a couple of original members left alive, but to be honest this is probably a far better live band than they ever were. I'm saying that without ever being lucky enough to see the original band though.

To my relief they don't play much from their very disappointing latest album apart from the title track 'Cause I Sez So'. We get a bit more from their previous album including the wonderful 'Dance Like A Monkey' which pisses over anything on their latest effort.

Have the Dolls made their last good album? I dunno, but they certainly still have good live shows in them and plenty of cool stuff from their previous albums to fill out their set - so hopefully they will be back...

No comments:

Post a Comment