Saturday 19 July 2014

30/11/2009 Selfish, Trashcat & Kismetik @ The Gaff

SubjectSelfish, Trashcat & Kismetik @ The Gaff
PostedDate11/30/2009

I find myself back at the venue which is fast becoming my home from home. First band at The Gaff tonight is Trashcat.

This punk outfit have some half decent songs and not a bad sound, apart from the vocals which I find pretty unlistenable.

Selfish are on next.

They have a good guitar sound and a really tight rhythm section. Their sound is firmly rooted in the 70's and 80's.

They describe themselves as a 'modern classic rock band', but I fail to spot the 'modern' part. At least they aren't a dumbed down nu-metal band with shit vocals. Certainly worth a listen anyway - particularly their song 'Heavy Living'. 

Last band are Kismetik - a punk band who look like they've being doing this a long time.

They play fast and are quite lively, but sound very generic. They are probably quite good musicians, but their chosen style of music doesn't allow that to shine through.

Oh well - nothing too exciting, but worth a look. It's a cheap place to visit and easy to get to so I'm more likely to pop down to check out bands I don't know that well.
PS: This venue is now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment