Tuesday 29 July 2014

2/5/2010 Metalworks @ Big Red

SubjectMetalworks @ Big Red
PostedDate5/2/2010

A couple of things to go to on this Bank Holiday weekend Sunday - and amazingly, neither of them are in Camden or Islington! First I'm off to a pub in Walthamstow to see a couple of ex-bandmates play.

I assume it's going to be just Dave and Gerry performing an acoustic set, but when I get there there is a full band playing. It's rather a bizarre experience for me watching them play songs I played with them countless times and thought I'd never hear again. Andy the drummer playing with them today also used to be in the same band, although not at the same time as me.

After this slightly weird experience I head off to catch Metalworks - not in Camden for once, but at Big Red in Holloway Road. The reason for the change of venue is that The Monarch is being used for the Camden Crawl this weekend. I was really pleased when I found out they would be playing at Big Red instead and wished they'd play there all the time as it's much easier to get to for me - and easier to get home after on the night bus too. However, I changed my opinion on arrival.  Metalworks gigs are always packed on Bank Holiday weekends as people don't have to worry about work the next day, and this was no exception. Big Red was absolutely rammed!  I've never seen it so packed - it took me about 25 minutes just to get served at the bar.  There is no stage and the lighting was non-existent so it was difficult to even see the band. If I'd have known it was going to be like this I wouldn't have bothered.

Metalworks are a good classic hard rock/metal covers band and play plenty of songs I like, but due to the place being so full it wasn't an enjoyable experience at all.  After my second drink (which fortunately didn't take so long to acquire) the band finished and I decided to cut my losses and head home while the tube was still running...

No comments:

Post a Comment