Wednesday 16 July 2014

16/10/2009 Quick Ticket To Nowhere, Stereo Juggernaut, Sons Of Albion & Roxville @ The Gaff

SubjectQuick Ticket To Nowhere, Stereo Juggernaut, Sons Of Albion & Roxville @ The Gaff
PostedDate10/16/2009

Going to the gig I have to stop and check it's not Friday the 13th when I spot car # 666 on the tube on the way. Actually, it's Friday the 16th... 


Another busy night at Holloway Road's coolest venue, and excellent value for money as usual. First band on the bill, and rather odd one out are female fronted blues rockers Quick Ticket To Nowhere. This band continue to improve and seem to be starting to get into their stride with a few shows under their belt since playing their first ever gig here a few months ago.

Canadian singer Sarah later says she thinks the crowd were a bit confused and maybe didn't 'get' them. Personally I think they were more confused by a girl fronting a band wearing a dress what made her look like a folk singer than the actual music. The band played well and certainly a few people enjoyed what they were doing though.

Next are Stereo Juggernaut.

They are playing the last night of their month's residency at The Gaff. I went the the first one as well as the last and it seems from what I see that their four nights here have been quite a success.

I think they have drawn a bigger crowd than any other band on the bill tonight and the band seem very pleased with the way things have gone.

Sons of Albion have been sharing the residency with Stereo Juggernaut haven't really made much on an impression on me. I can't fault their playing, but I can't remember any of their songs either. They just don't seem to have anything to make them stand out from the crowd.


Final band Roxville aren't trying to do anything particularly original and their music is very much based in the past, but they do a far better job of entertaining me than the previous band.

They don't take themselves as seriously and seem to be more about having fun playing music they enjoy. This is something I always appreciate. They are good musicians as well, and it helps that they all look like they are on the same page visually too.

Three out of the four bands on the bill tonight I certainly look forward to seeing again.
PS: This venue is now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment