Tuesday 10 June 2014

9/12/2008 The Wildhearts @ The Forum

SubjectThe Wildhearts @ The Forum
PostedDate12/9/2008

I always really look forward to shows by the Wildhearts, and this one certainly didn't disappoint.  It was originally booked for Hammersmith Odeon, which seemed rather optimistic even though the band's profile has been raised this year by some highly succesful festival appearances.  The band can sell out venues of around 2000 capacity like the Forum or Astoria, but filling the 5000 plus Hammersmith venue didn't seem likely to me - much though I'd like to see the band sell that many tickets. It probably didn't help much that the Wildhearts have only recently played a sell out show at London's Shepherds Bush Empire, although I suspect that most of the hardcore fans who were at that show still bought tickets for this one as well.  I am less than surprised when it is announced a couple of days before the Hammersmith gig that the venue has been changed to the smaller Forum in Kentish Town.  On one hand I am sad that the band apparently didn't sell enough tickets to fill the larger venue, but I am also glad as I'd far rather go to a gig at the quicker to get to (for me) Forum - which I'd still prefer as a venue even if it were just as far away as Hammersmith - especially after not enjoying my recent visit there to see Motörhead and feeling treated like cattle.  I also much prefer the Forum to Shepherds Bush Empire or Koko where I had seem my last two Wildhearts shows as I think the sound and bar facilities at the Forum are much better. 

I didn't arrive in time to see the first support act. They were Tragedy - a heavy metal tribute to the BeeGees. I heard very mixed reports about their set from people who had seen it.  Fortunately I arrived in time to see A.  This is the band's first show in several years - and they claim to not have even rehearsed properly with their new bass player! A are an excellent choice of support and I'm sure quite a few extra tickets are sold as a result. Although the sound isn't that good I enjoy their set and they have plenty of good songs.   One of the best moments is when frontman Jason Perry tries to really get the crowd going by raising a big cheer - his response to their efforts being "No - that was an indie cheer. Give me a ROCK cheer!" Needless to say - the next cheer was much louder! 

The Wildhearts have been on fine form for the last couple of years, and have been enjoying something of a resurgance after putting out a well received self-titled album last year. The Forum is respectably full, but not packed - which means things like getting into a decent position in the crowd and getting a drink are no problem - so much better than Hammersmith.

Fortunately the sound is noticably better than the recent Shepherds Bush Empire gig too - in fact everything is better all round as far as I'm concerned. Instead of his usual trademark Les Paul 50th anniversary edition Ginger appears to be sporting a modern Les Paul Standard this time round.

Unfortutunately, Ginger finds the sound far from satisfactory on-stage. The band play well, but Ginger is not having the best of nights and is in a funny mood - probably because of the bad on-stage sound. 

However, the rest of the band seem to be having a better time. Scott get glitter poured all over him during the show, and CJ already has traces of glitter at the start of the set.

The choice of setlist is excellent - although it's a surprise hearing '29 x The Pain' so early in the set - I guess it's getting rather predicable always having it last though. The set is a good mixture of old and new - with more songs from the 'Wildhearts' album getting an airing this time round, as well as the great Icicle Works cover 'Understanding Jane' from the band's recent covers album. I was half expecting not to hear any songs at all from the classic 'Earth Vs...' album after it getting played all the way through at some recent gigs around the world, but some of the old favourites from that album were included as well for the benefit of those who couldn't make those gigs - so I think there was plenty to please everybody! 

Ginger left the stage halfway through the set, but not realising how long they had been playing I thought maybe it was already encore time? I didn't realise until later that he had apparently stormed off because of the poor sound mix he was hearing.  He was soon persuaded to return and the show carried on, without me really realising anything was amiss - although I did notice him having a bit of an altercation with his mic stand.  Anyway, the band finished the show and Ginger finished by making a little speech apologising to the crowd for his bad behaviour earlier. This left me a bit puzzled - like did I miss something? 

Anyway, all's well that end's well - and this ended well. I was happy as the band played probably the longest set I've ever seen from them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment