Monday 23 June 2014

6/2/2009 Dirty Harry @ The Borderline

SubjectDirty Harry @ The Borderline
PostedDate2/6/2009

I arrive at the Borderline a bit early (for once!) and find the doors haven't even opened. What I had assumed would be Dirty Harry's stage time was actually the 'doors' time.  The event is one of Alan McGee's 'The Queen Is Dead' club nights. I decide I've probably got time for a quick pint at the Intrepid Fox before the band take to the stage so I head for the pub rather than queuing in the cold waiting for the Borderline to open it's doors. However, as I'm walking down Denmark Street I bump into promoter Mark outside the 12 Bar Club and the lovely Kate from Love and a .45 and am persuaded to pop into the 12 Bar for a drink instead.

I get back to the Borderline by 11.30 and there is still no sign of the band going on. I bump into The Rev in the toilet - he seems in good spirits and looking forward to getting on stage to do his six string thing. The band hit the stage around midnight - which screws my chance of catching the last tube home. The Dirty Harry show is good, although I think the recent one at Notting Hill Arts Club rocked a bit harder. 

There's quite a good crowd in by the time the band take to the stage, including members of Queen Adreena and Love and a .45. Harry has written some catchy songs for her second album, and has put a good band together including ex-Towers Of London guys Rev and Snell. The band played well and the sound was quite good, although the set could certainly have been longer as Harry has two albums under her belt and songs for a third one on the way.

Harry had her hair cut into a bob this week, not that it's very obvious in the pictures. She had great hair before, and being a typical guy I'm not that pleased that she's now cut most of it off.  Still, it's her hair and she can do what she likes with it - she still has just enough left to pull off a Debbie Harry impression though!

Seeing as I've missed the last tube I decide I might as well hang around for the rest of the club night - it turns out to be quite good and I actually like most of the music played. The infamous Courtney Love (a good friend of Harry's) was rumoured to be doing a DJ set at the club, but she didn't show. Someone had obviously tipped Xfm off about this earlier as I heard them mention Courtney's 'secret' DJ appearance a couple of times during the day - and amusingly they managed to get things wrong by saying that she'd be appearing with "the resident DJ Dirty Harry".  The Borderline is a better place to hang out now the selection of drinks behind the bar has improved - I'm pleased to find they have Newcastle Brown at a not too outrageous price. By the time the club shuts at 3 I am fairly well oiled - which at least stops me feeling the cold so much as I wait for the night bus.  And also means I fall asleep on the bus before it gets to the last stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment