Saturday 21 June 2014

30/12/2008 Shush @ The Gaff

SubjectShush @ The Gaff
PostedDate12/30/2008

Last proper gig of the year - fortunately I have got some gigs to go to in this 'dead' Christmas holiday week. Tonight I find myself at the recently refurbishedGaff in Holloway Road. The former Old King's Head has been re-invented in an altogether darker form.  The turnout is surprisingly good - looks like I'm not the only one looking for gigs to go to while off work for a week or so. There were supposed to be four bands on the bill, but as usual one has pulled out. It's still good value for a fiver on the door though. The first band are a very generic metal band - I wasn't interested enough to bother finding out what they were called...

The second band were a female fronted goth/metal outfit - I think they are called The Veil. They reminded me a bit of Spit Like This for some reason. However, as they start their set it's obvious that the into vocals are coming from a backing tape - the machine is visible at the back of the stage. Straight away you are wondering how much you will hear for the rest of the set is actually being played live? It doesn't make for a good first impression. That said, the girl singer was actually very good as fronting the band.

The reason I am here is mainly to see the excellent Shush. I am pleased to see a lot of familiar faces here for the same reason! 

The band sound good as usual, and are more powerful as the result of the very welcome return of ex-AntiProduct drummer Simon 'Gonk'. 

The sound is much improved at this venue since it became The Gaff (house drums & full backline are provided if wanted), although the new LED lighting rig leaves something to be desired as far as brightness goes.  This doesn't help with photography - nor does the fact that I inadvertantly had my camera on the lowest quality picture setting (VGA) all night so my pics aren't as sharp as they might be. 

Shush blast out their catchy pop/rock songs with a mixture of attitude and feeling - this band always delivers a quality performance. It's a good night out to (nearly) end the year with - great music and friends.  And unusually for a music venue, real ale - and at a reasonable price too. 
PS: This very cool little venue has now shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment