Saturday 28 June 2014

29/3/2009 Maleficent & The Dogbones @ The Fly

SubjectMaleficent & The Dogbones @ The Fly
PostedDate3/29/2009

I'm back at The Fly for the second time in a week, but tonight it's a very different vibe and the place is full of Goths.

Maleficent are the first band. They are actually putting the night on themselves to promote their new album 'Demize'.

Their music is a bit 'Goth' and too electronic for my tastes, but I'm hoping their live show will sound more guitar based and in your face - plus it's free to get in and the Dogbones are playing too so here I am.

Although the music itself doesn't do that much for me, I certainly prefer the more raw and organic sound of the band live.

I also appreciate the effort that Maleficent have put in to making this a very dramatic and 'in your face' show - it's certainly a gripping performance.

It's not quite my cup of tea musically, but I'm certainly glad I saw this show.

The final band of the evening are the Dogbones

This was more to my liking musically - very raw and primal. The band features Crispin and Nomi from Queen Adreena - with Crispin taking a more prominent role without the amazing Katie Jane Garside getting most the attention as in his 'day job' band.

Crispin also shares lead vocals in this band as well as letting rip on guitar.

Nomi takes lead vocals on some songs, and swaps guitar/bass duties with Crispin on some songs too. Along with the twin drummer tribal attack this makes the band really stand out as quite unique - there is certainly no one else out there like the Dogbones!

This is a particularly strong performance from the band tonight - very heavy and distorted sounding guitars mixed with a punk and 'in your face' edge. This is the best show I've seen from the Dogbones - their performance probably spurred on by playing to a full room and an audience who were really up for it.
PS: This venue is now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment