Tuesday 24 June 2014

21/3/2009 A classical interlude...

SubjectA classical interlude...
PostedDate3/21/2009

Yes, classical. So why was I attending a concert of classical music instead of a rock gig? Like myself, music meant everything to my late father - only a very different kind of music. He was a trained singer and for many years sang in the choir of the London Philharmonic Orchectra. Eventually, age took it's inevitable toll on his voice and he reluctantly bowed out of his place in the choir. He missed it enormously, for the social side of it as well as the music itself. Not wanting to give up on performing music altogether he decided to take up playing the violin for the first time in his life. This he did, and he joined the East London Late Starters Orchestra (ELLSO). He enjoyed this greatly and it became an important part of his life up until very close to the end - again for the social side as much as the music.

As some of you know, my father died last month - which is why I haven't been out and about as much as usual so far this year. My dad seems to have made quite an impression in his time with the orchestra, and they wanted to dedicate their end-of-term concert to his memory - he performed with them for the last time at their previous concert in December. I was invited to attend this rather special tribute, so along with my sister and her family I made my way down to St Leonard's Church in Shoreditch where the ELLSO concerts take place. Ironically, my father's name was also Leonard. The event seemed even more ironic to me personally as I am often in the area for concerts of a very different type of music at nearby venues - it seemed very odd walking through those familiar East London streets (dressed rather differently than my normal more rock 'n' roll attire) to such a sombre event.

St Leonards Church is a very old and historic building. Many of the plaques and inscriptions on the walls date from the 1700's and some actors from Shakespear's time are apparently buried there. The church is mentioned in the line "When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch" from the well known nursery rhyme 'Oranges and Lemons'. The place is well worth a visit if you ever get the chance. The atmosphere and the acoustics are rather special. I found the whole event very moving as I imagined my father taking his usual place amidst the orchestra as he did so many times over the past few years. Although classical music isn't my thing and I only recognised three of the twelve pieces that were played I was very moved by what I heard. The power of a full orchestra in such surroundings is really something. The selection of music was quite varied, featuring pieces by Handel, Puccini, Bizet, Purcell, Elgar, Beethoven, Schubert, and Gershwin amongst others.

There was a bit of a 'meet & greet' afterwards where I was lucky enough to meet many of the people who played in the orchestra with my father - I was very touched to see how fondly he was regarded by them. Several people tried to convince me to take up an instrument and join them! Maybe in 20 years or so when I am getting too old to heave heavy amplifiers in and out of cars and vans at gigs...

I found the whole experience very involving and the people very nice - I can see why my dad enjoyed being involved with the orchestra so much and how much it all meant to him. I may even attend their next concert...

No comments:

Post a Comment