Tuesday 24 June 2014

19/3/2009 Cherry Brakewells & Voodoo Six @ The Scala

SubjectCherry Brakewells & Voodoo Six @ The Scala
PostedDate3/19/2009

This is the first Unholy club night at the Scala I've been able to get to. I was really looking forward to it as a couple of my favourite bands are on the bill. Things don't get off to a very good start for me. On arrival I have to queue outside for about 15 minutes - even though the queue isn't very long. There are four bands on in total, but because of the club later they start ridiculously early and as a result I end up missing Shush completely. Apparently there was hardly anyone in the venue when they went on and they had to play to almost no one. 

Things have picked up quite a bit by the time Cherry Brakewells take to the stage - a few minutes late due to technical issues.

The band's fan club seems to be out in force tonight, and they are treated to a great show. 

I've never seen this band play to so many people, but they really rise to the occasion and play a blinder. The crowd love 'em!

This band were terrific the first time I saw them, but they are getting even better as they play more gigs.

Last on the bill are Voodoo Six. This band have upped their profile considerably over the last year with their debut album release, lots of touring, and quite a bit of radio play.

In spite of all this, I am not to only one to notice that when they start their set they are playing to less people than the Cherry Brakewells. To be fair, it soon fills up quite a bit although the room isn't packed.

The band turn in a polished and professional performance - all that time on the road has really paid off.

The band certainly seem to have built up a decent following, but like the previous time I saw them none of their songs really reach out and grab me.

After the bands finish The Scala turns into a club until 6 in the morning. There are numerous DJs on various floors playing a wide variety of rock music. When I look back in the main room (where the bands played) a little later a wrestling ring has been errected for some sort of demo wrestling show or something. This has about as much interest to me as watching paint dry so I leave them to it. If I didn't have anything planned for the following day (Saturday) I'd have been tempted to stay for the musical part of the club night - although I was less than impressed by the selection of beer on offer at the bar - and even less impressed by the prices at over £4 a pint.  I have to say the service at the bar was very quick though. 

A club that stays open until 6 (around when the tube starts running again) is very tempting, but on this occasion I was actually sensible enough to leave in time to catch the tube home for once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment