Monday 23 June 2014

17/1/2009 Last night of Decadence?

SubjectLast night of Decadence?
PostedDate1/17/2009

It's not just the Astoria, LA2, and Metro clubs that are being demolished in the biggest blitz on London's music venues since the Luftwaffe bombed the Cafe De Paris - also being flattened to make way for Crossrail is Enterprise Studios (home to TotalRock Radio) and SIN Therefore, this is the last ever night of Decadence at this venue. It was always going to be packed once the word got round to the club's regulars, but it got a mention in Kerrang! as well.

I planned to arrive in time for a (cheaper) drink or two at the neighbouring Intrepid Fox first, and then hit Decadence before the door price went up at 11.00. However, on walking past the club on the way to the pub  there were already two massive queues outside - one of which was for the guestlist. I obviously wasn't going to reach the front of the queue before 11.00 anyway so I decided to stay in the pub for an hour or so until the queue went down. Some time after 02.00 when the pub shut a group of us left the Fox to try and get into SIN. The queues were still just as long! The club was full to capacity and they were operating a 'One-in-one-out' policy on the door.  We decided we weren't queuing for an hour or so in the freezing cold just to get in and would just go home instead. Anyway, we got in without queuing due to a friend calling in a favour. 
Needless to say, the place was rammed! I think we had already missed the Fuel Girls by then. I bumped into a few friends here and there and it was all good. Well until about four in the morning anyway. Apart from it being it being the last night of Decadence (and Disorder) at SIN, another reason I wanted to go was because it was open till six in the morning - or seven, or even nine for an aftershow depending on who you listen to. This was great from my point of view because I could stay there until the tube was running again - much easier and quicker to get home. Of course I usually get the night bus, but I get pretty fed up of hanging around for ages at bus stops in the small hours - especially in the middle of winter!  As I said, things were going OK, until around four in the morning - then the booze started to run out!  The Newcastle Brown was long gone, and the bottles of watery Magners too. Then the spirits started to run out as well.  I wasn't the only one to find there was nothing left that I actually wanted to drink - and very soon there would be no alcohol left at all. It was the same situation in all the bars.  In desperation I asked for a G&T as there still appeared to be some gin left - I was presented with a glass containing barely a mouthful of gin - the last drop they had. At least I got it for free as there wasn't a measure full left. I guess as it was the last night of the clubs they decided not to buy too much booze in just in case they didn't sell it all on the night. I could see the atmosphere was vanishing faster than a spaceship with the door left ajar, so I cut my losses and headed for the bus stop - at least it had been a cheaper night of Decadence than normal...

PS: Decadence will be returning at a new venue in February. 
PPS: This venue has since been demolished to make way for London's 'Crossrail' project.

No comments:

Post a Comment