Monday 16 June 2014

15/12/2008 Cherry Brakewells @ The Real Music Club

SubjectCherry Brakewells @ The Real Music Club
PostedDate12/15/2008

Yes, it's them again!  Only this time I don't have to travel miles to see them as they are nearly on my doorstep. This is a very good thing. All the bands I know who have played at the Real Music Club so far have really enjoyed it - and with such an large stage and shiney new house PA I can see why. The sound seems to be pretty good both on stage and out front, and it's nice not to have to pay Camden or West End prices for drinks. Although on the subject of drinks, I notice the recently installed real ale pump is still not serving it's adverstised beverage of Green King IPA.  I ask the barmaid if the pump hasever worked, and she says they are still waiting for some beer to be delivered for it. A well known phrase comes to mind that includes the words 'piss-up' and 'brewery'... 

There's an acoustic duo called Like Bear Hands playing when I arrive. They are just finishing while I'm saying hello to people so I don't get a chance to really hear what they are like.

I've really been looking forward to seeing the Cherry Brakewells on my manor - it's not often that one of my favourite bands plays locally. They are adding new songs regularly so there are quite a few songs in the set that aren't on their First Bite album. One of the ones not on the album is a torch song which singer Shay introduces about a relationship gone wrong. Monique the bassist sits on her amp for this song as drummer Chi takes the tempo down.... Shay says she feels so much better at the end of the song after venting...

The tempo goes back up after the ballad and the band lock into the funky rocking groove they do so well.

I'm pleased to see that quite a few people have actually made the effort to travel to see this band on a Monday night in North London - it's so hard to get people to go to any gig that isn't in a well known Camden or West End venue.

Most of the people here have never heard of this band though and are here to see the other three acts on tonight - which makes it all the more impressive when the Cherry Brakewells first song goes down a storm!

This is one of those rare bands with that 'Wow!' factor which wins people over straight away. 

It's all over far too soon - things are running slightly late and the band very considerately don't want to force any of the following acts to have to cut their - sets short. Most other bands in the same situation wouldn't give a shit. The girls play a cracking set, and apart from it being too short the only other disappointment is that they inexplicably leave out what I consider is their best song 'Cover Me' - which featured a terrific guitar solo from Anna last time I saw them. 

The next band are 6th Edition. I saw them at this venue a month or so ago and wasn't that impressed, but they seem to have come on quite a bit since then. I watched them more out of duty this time, but was pleasantly surprised as were some of my friends.

They were quite lively and had more personality and charisma of their own than most original bands I've seen here. I did think about leaving after the Cherry Brakewells, but this lot were actually worth sticking around for. Worth keeping an eye on I think as they the have potential to go further...

The final act of the night is Pretty Little Mutiny. I guess they could be described as a pop/punk power trio.

They play well enough, but the girl on drums has a bit of a 'rabbit trapped in the headlights' look about her - maybe she's really nervous? At the risk of sounding sexist - she plays drums in a 'girly' way. It's not that she plays badly, but girls don't have to play drums like that and I know some girl drummers who can play hard, loud, and agressively and at least as well as most blokes. Debbie from JOANovARC is a great example, and Denise from Girlschool is one of the loudest drummers out there.  Pretty Little Mutiny aren't a bad band though, and maybe if I catch them again sometime they'll impress me more...

PS: The wonderful Cherry Brakewells will be back at the Real Music Club on Saturday February 8th when there is a night of girl rock bands. 
PS: After several changes of name/management this venue (formerly the Bull & Butcher) has shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment