Tuesday 27 May 2014

26/9/2008 Cherry Brakewells @ The Unicorn

SubjectCherry Brakewells @ The Unicorn
PostedDate9/26/2008

An interesting deja vu filled night for me. I'm going to The Unicorn in Camden - my first visit to this pub for a few years. A long time ago it was called The Brecknock and was a well known venue for live music. In more recent years it's been known as the Unicorn, and was even the 'Slug & Lettuce' for a while if memory serves me correct. I used to be in this area all the time as I was once in a band that was based just round the corner - in fact we played The Unicorn quite a few times. Memories of old times abound as I walk from the tube station treading the same path that I had walked countless times with my guitar in hand. However, nostalgia isn't what it used to be - and nor is it the reason I am in this pub tonight.

As I walk into the pub there is an act I've never heard of playing. Visiter Q are an interesting and challenging band - probably best experienced live as this is a real  performance. Certainly worth a look, but not everyone's cup of Rosie Lee.

Then it's onto the evening's main attraction:

This is one of my favourite new discoveries - the Cherry Brakewells

I discovered this lot by accident recently at the Rhythm Factory when I went to see another band - don't you love it when that happens!  So many people just go to see one band and then leave without checking out the following bands on the bill - and they are missing out on some great bands. Obviously some rubbish ones too, but if the band is rubbish then you can always go to the bar or whatever while you wait for the next one. You've paid to get in so you might as well get your money's worth - and who knows what you might find? I always try to hang around to see all the bands if I don't have to rush off to catch the last train - then there's time for more beer!  This approach has led to me discovering some great bands - including the Cherry Brakewells  Talking of 'getting your money's worth' at gigs - it's worth mentioning that gigs at this pub are FREE! 

These girls ROCK, but they do it in a funky way with a massive groove thing going on.

The lead guitarist looks more like she'd be more at home in a rockabilly band, but she can play a mean and bluesy rock guitar - with a bit of soul thrown in.

This band are quite different to any other one I go and see, but they are like a breath of fresh air! They really have their own take on mixing up soul and blues with the heavyness of classic rock. They also have a very different take on the Little Richard song 'Long Tall Sally' which you can hear on their website.

Rock music really doesn't come any funkier than this, and the Cherry Brakewells play it with a real feeling of passion.

And of course it doesn't do any harm that they are very easy on the eye.  But the thing is, they sound great too!

This is one of those bands which leaves me thinking "I've got to go and see them again - soon!"
PS: The Telecaster wielding guitarist on the left has since become quite well known in her own right as a singer/songwriter. Anna Calvi has had quite a lot of airplay on the BBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment