Sunday 9 March 2014

24/8/2007 Viva Las Vegas @ the 100 Club

SubjectViva Las Vegas @ the 100 Club
PostedDate8/24/2007

Two bands I was hoping to see at the 100 Club tonight - well three actually, but things didn't go according to plan...

I didn't notice that Dirty Love were opening the show until it was far too late to get there in time to see them.  I haven't seen them before, but I remember being handed a Dirty Love flyer a long time ago (yes I do remember some things) at The Garage and thinking they might be worth checking out. Oh well.

I also wanted to see the Bitch Pistols - the flyer led me to believe they would be second last band on. I arrived in time to see the second from last band - but it was Eastfield instead of the Bitch Pistols!  I arrived at the Club about a minute after they finished.  They are supposed to be playing at the Old King's Head next Wednesday so at least I'll be able to catch them then... (cancelled)

I can't say I really enjoyed Eastfield and their self styled 'Rail-punk' or whatever they call it. They were good at what they do and had some decent tunes, but I couldn't really get into it.  They got a few people dancing though, so they are obviously doing something right. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood as I was pissed off at missing the Bitch Pistols.

Viva Las Vegas are always fun so they cheered me up a bit. Mark looked sharp in his black shirt with the flames on, and Jeff the guitarist was playing a really cool looking new 1956 Les Paul Goldtop re-issue instead of his neat Les Paul Special.  Unfortunately, the sound was a bit muddy and I couldn't hear it that clearly though.  There was an extra guitarist with the band as well - not sure who he is but I've seen him playing at the 12 Bar Club before and he's a very good rock & roll player - Scandinavian I think. The band's set went down well and like the last band they got people dancing - you can't go wrong with a set of punked up Elvis covers really. 
After a couple of encore songs I had to leave - probably earlier than neccessary, but I wasn't sure what time the last tube left Tottenham Court Road station.

No comments:

Post a Comment