Monday 24 February 2014

9/8/2007 Zodiac Mindwarp & Neon Diamond

SubjectZodiac Mindwarp & Neon Diamond
PostedDate8/9/2007

Yet another two gigs in one night scenario. Fortunately, both venues are only yards apart which is great.  Not so great is that the first band go on about an hour late - seemingly buggering up my plans once again... 

This is the second time I've seen Zodiac Mindwarp And The Love Reaction at the Intrepid Fox. The last time it was absolutely rammed! It was certainly less so this time, but that's what normally happens after a show which was a rare event the first time round, but not so much the second time - and also it being August a lot of people are away - as I found out with my band last week.  I couldn't get any decent pictures at all last time this band played here, but tonight I already have a nice position at the front when the band take to the stage.
Where I am standing the sound is really good, and as I also get a great view I enjoy the show a lot more than last time.  Another plus point is that in spite of the August heat (yes - at last!) the pub's air-con makes it very comfortable upstairs.
All the 'hits' you'd expect are played - 'Backseat Education', 'Fucked By Rock', and of course 'Prime Mover', along with some newer songs like 'Lucille'.
Once again the band finish with a great version of Thin Lizzy's 'The Rocker' - a song which suits this band really well and lets Cobalt Stargazer make his way out into the crowd during the solo and play from the back of the room. Naturally, the audience love this!

The band are all superb musicians, and combined with a great sound and quality frontman this all makes for a really enjoyable show.

The World's most evil looking bass guitar?

Unfortunately, things are cut short slightly by a monitor lead or something coming disconnected - but everybody seems to have had a really good time all the same. 

Then I nip off smartly round the corner to the 12 Bar Club just in case there is a chance of catching Neon Diamond - who were actually due on stage over 45 minutes ago. Fortunately, for once the Gods of Rock are on my side and they haven't even started yet! This is the first time I've had the chance to see this band, and I don't think I catch them on a good night.  The sound isn't very good and they are plagued by technical problems.  Frontman Mark breaks a guitar string early on and his request to borrow a guitar falls on deaf ears. He carries on without his guitar, and eventually a friend manages to change the offending string and returns it to him - but it's out of tune.  The band never really recover from these setbacks, although the last two or three songs sound quite strong.
The band are obviously not having a good night, but even allowing for that I think I prefer Mark's other band Bubblegum Screw.

No comments:

Post a Comment