Wednesday 19 February 2014

7/4/2007 Even more hard rock cover bands in Camden...

SubjectEven more hard rock cover bands in Camden...
PostedDate4/7/2007

...well actually it's the some ones, playing the same songs but...

Bar Monsta was my first port of call this time. As it was a Bank Holiday weekend it was a MMRox fest event with loads of bands playing. As usual I couldn't get myself organised in time to get down there early enough and I missed the first bands - I think I need a manager or something because even on a bank holiday weekend I still can't find time to get myself sorted out and get to anything reasonably early.   I arrived just in time to see Rockworkz - but only 'cos things at Bar Monsta were running later than planned. Marc Eden was the main singer this time, and the best frontman of the three bands I managed to see today. Yes, sometimes I manage to get to two gigs in one night - but this time I managed to get to three. For I think the first time ever, I managed to see all of the Rockworkz set - mainly consisting of Led Zeppelin and AC/DC covers on this occasion. It was good to hear 'Riff Raff' - not a song I think I've heard anyone else cover before. 

Next I was back down the road to the World's End to see Dead Seed. They were better than last time and had a more stable lineup. As I walked in they were playing an AC/DC song which I had only heard another band playing a few minutes before about a hundred yards away! You can't really have too much AC/DC though - just as well as I was to see a third band playing their songs later the same evening! 

After Dead Seed finished I headed off up Chalk Farm Road to catch Metalworks at the Misty Moon. The band are good and the beer is better than on my last visit, but I have to say I enjoyed it a lot less than last time as the band now play at the front of the pub instead of the back and there seems a lot less room - and there is no stage so you can't see as well - a definite step back in my opinion.  I can only assume the pub management have done this to put the band where potential passing trade can see and hear them and maybe be tempted in? I see quite a few people outside looking in watching to see what is going on, but I think few if any of them actually cough up the £5 asking price to come in... Maybe they are thinking - but this is the same as we saw for free down the road at the World's End earlier? If the pub keep this arrangment I think I'll vote with my feet next time I'm in Camden on a Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment