Tuesday 11 February 2014

6/2/2007 Supersuckers @ The Underworld

SubjectSupersuckers @ The Underworld
PostedDate2/6/2007

Supersuckers are one of those bands I'll always go to see when they come to town, so I'd been looking forward to this show for several months.  Predictably, The Underworld was sold out in advance and the place was rammed! One good side effect of this was that the other bar was open, so getting a drink wasn't quite as much a struggle as it often is in this (not very well managed in my opinion) venue. 

The band were on good form as usual, although my first impression was that I'd seen them better. They seemed to get better and better as the set progressed though - possibly also helped by my alcohol consumption.  The set was full of crowd pleasers - mainly from the band's last three 'rock & roll' albums, although there was a very good more countryfied than normal version of 'Creepy Jackalope Eye'. 'Supersucker Drive-By Blues' was another highlight. We got the time-saving 'fake encore' as well - which was good as it cut out some of the bullshit and allowed the band more time actually playing music and us less time waiting. Predictably, the last song was 'Born With A Tail' - but who's complaining!  This was an extended version with every member of the band getting to play a solo on Eddie Spaghetti's bass - which according to Eddie is what everyone aspires to as it is the instrument in a rock 'n' roll band which people long to play the most. Yes right. It was all great fun though, and well worth the wait for this band's special brand of shit-kicking rock 'n' roll to hit London again. 
There was a special '3 CD for £10' offer on the band's merch stall, so I decided to take advantage of that as their newer CD 'Paid' had been recomended to me. I checked that it was one of the CDs included in the offer and quickly handed over my £10 before the annoying security staff chucked me out. It wasn't until I had a look on the way home that I discovered the merch guy hadn't given me the 'Paid' CD and I'd got two live CDs and 'The Sauce' instead!  That pissed me off somewhat as it was too late to go back and change them.  I was probably going to get 'The Sauce' anyway though. That was the only downer to a good night out really - met some friends, had a few beers, and enjoyed some good rock 'n' roll! 

No comments:

Post a Comment