Saturday 22 February 2014

5/6/2007 Velvet Revolver @ Hammersmith Odeon

SubjectVelvet Revolver @ Hammersmith Odeon
PostedDate6/5/2007

Yes, I said 'Hammersmith Odeon' - because that's still what it's called to a lot of us - and it always will be. 'Carling Apollo'? Bollocks to that!

When I saw Velvet Revolver at this venue a couple of years ago I could only get an upstairs seated ticket - somewhere near the back.  I never did find my actual seat before the show started, and never actually sat down up there - but the band were amazing and it was still worth the ticket price. This time I was quicker off the mark and got a downstairs standing ticket - much better. Or so I thought...

I managed to get fairly close to the front over on the left hand side without much trouble before the show started. I realised that Slash would be standing on the other side of the stage, but I guessed loads of other people would be thinking the same thing and it would be far more crowded over that side - and much further away from the gents if I wanted a piss.

The band's intro music started and all I could hear was a really fucking loud distorted bass sound.  I hoped the 'professional' sound engineers would sort it out and it would get better when the band actually started playing. It didn't.  The sound quality was absolutely fucking appalling!  It was by far the worst sound I have heard at any gig large or small for many years - possibly the worst I have ever heard in my life. It was incredibly loud - verging on the pain threshold - and all I could hear was loud distorted bass. Slash and his guitar playing are obviously one of the main attractions with this band - but I couldn't hear a note he was playing. The vocals were drowned out to such an extent that it was hard to actually tell what song the band were playing. I'm used to high volume levels at all sorts of rock gigs - standing at all parts of the room, but this was just ridiculous and I wasn't enjoying the show at all - the sound was just making it too uncomfortable. I gave it a couple of songs, hoping things would improve - but it didn't. I moved towards the back and then over to the right in an attempt to find an area where was sound was better. I eventually settled on a spot near the back over towards the right hand side - just to the right of the mixing desk. I assumed the best sound mix in the room would be in the area of the desk, but even there it wasn't very good although it was still very loud. I felt ripped off.  Not by the band, but by the venue and promoters responsible for this poor state of affairs. I've seen AC/DC and Motorhead among others at this venue since it reopened after it's refurbishent - and they sounded far far better. Even at the back I could hardly hear Slash's solos - and I just had to imagine the mighty riffs to songs like 'Big Machine' and 'Slither' as I couldn't hear Slash actually playing them, although I could see him well enough.

As far as I can tell, the band performed well - well they looked like they were putting on a good performance anyway, although I did think Dave Kushner was maybe trying a little too hard. Maybe he thinks he has more to prove as the least previously known member of the band? I was surprised there were so many covers in the set - especially as the band now have two albums under their belt. And only one G'N'R song as opposed to around three last time. Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' and Talking Heads 'Psycho Killer' were certainly unexpected - although not amazing versions in my opinion - especially the latter. The Floyd song was well received overall though. Even when I found a place to stand where the sound quality wasn't so shoddy I didn't enjoy the show anything like as much as the previous time I saw them at this venue. Maybe as well as the poor sound, the band's actually performance wasn't as good. When they first hit the UK they were a new band with something to prove - and they did. Now they're not so hungry... Last time I thought they were absolutely fantastic - well worth the high ticket price and I left the venue really looking forward to seeing the band again. Unfortunately, I can't say the same on this occasion. Would I buy another ticket to see them at this venue? I'm not sure I would... 

Then again, I'd be even less likely to buy a ticket for Axl's G'N'R tribute band. Oh yes - where are you Axl? Your three former bandmates have formed a new band, toured extensively (and turned up to play on time) and now recorded two albums while we wait for you to get 'Chinese Democracy' out. Hello Axl. Hello.

Apart from the disgraceful sound quality, I wasn't very impressed by the way the venue was managed either. The bar was already shut when I sneaked out to grab a quick overpriced pint of Carling piss towards the end of the set - I guess it shut at 10.30.  Then on the way out as four thousand or so people were trying to get out the six main doors at the front of the venue - all three doors on one side were barred. What was that all about? Surely not in the interests on public safety. 

I had a look at the merch stand in the venue earlier. £22 for a T-shirt. Fuck off!  I bought one from the geezers flogging pirate ones outside after the show. £10 - and it seems pretty decent quality and looks as good as the rip-off official ones. Cheers mate.

I hope I have a better time at the Mötley Crüe show at the same venue next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment