Saturday 8 February 2014

5/1/2007 Vamps 'N' Gypsies and Runt @ Bar Monsta

SubjectVamps 'N' Gypsies and Runt @ Bar Monsta
PostedDate1/5/2007

My first trip to Bar Monsta of the year, and the first time I've seen Vamps 'N' Gypsies in 2007. I arrived in style when my bootlace got caught in the door on the way in and I nearly went arse over tit! Which was all the more embarrassing as I hadn't even had a drink at that point!  Unfortunately, I only caught the last song or two by Newcastle rock 'n' rollers Fables Last Stand - they sounded promising with their dirty Quireboys style sound.

I wasn't expecting much of a crowd at this gig in the first week of the new year, but attendance was actually quite good considering.

Vamps 'N' Gypsies were excellent as usual - playing virtually all the songs from their new CD.

As I've listened to the CD plenty of times over the last few weeks and know the songs better now it increased my enjoyment of their set even more.

Last band were another northern lot called Runt. Unfortunately the crowd thinned out a bit for them, which was ashame as they were actually rather good. This three piece were pretty heavy sounding with a lot of meaty Almighty and Wildhearts style riffing.They played very well and were extremely tight, but after a few songs it all started to sound the same and my interest started to drift. A couple of blokes who I assume were their fans or friends prodded me in the back 'cos I happened to be standing in front of them and obstructing their view - well don't stand near the back then you idiots! If you want a good view of the band then go and stand nearer the front - or is it too loud for you lightweights? 
So does this bloke look familiar to you Almighty fans?
This venue is now known as Camden Rock and is a real dive - best avoided if you don't want to be shot/stabbed/arrested.

No comments:

Post a Comment