Saturday 22 February 2014

30/5/2007 Dead Monroe @ Industry

SubjectDead Monroe @ Industry
PostedDate5/30/2007

My first visit to Industry in Shoreditch, and my initial impression wasn't that good - it reminded me of the nearby Turnmills - a venue I am in no hurry to visit again.  At first I couldn't see anything I actually wanted to drink behind the bar - it looked like yet another place that offered a choice of overpriced bottled lager or - overpriced bottled lager.  I resigned myself to not buying anything to drink... A little later I noticed a group of beer taps on the bar which I had somehow missed before - must have been hidden behind a small group of people. The choice was limited to lagers or Guinnness, but a sign said 'All pints £2.50' - surprisingly cheap for a trendyish east end venue so I decided to partake after all and Guinness was obtained...
Dead Monroe had started earlier than expected so I missed the first song or two. The sound wasn't particularly good in this venue, but I've heard worse.
The band ran through their currently more pop/rock sounding set, although new single 'Sweetheart' sounds less 'pop' and more 'rock' when they play the song live.

The sparse Wednesday night crowd at this short notice gig seemed to enjoy the band's rather commercial sounding set, and they finished by playing a very obscure cover - 'Silver Wings' by Dave Clarke (not the Dave Clarke of  5 fame) - a song with must be quite old as Keith Moon played drums on the recorded version - but which sounded very contemporary when played in 2007. An interesting end to the band's show.

No comments:

Post a Comment