Saturday 22 February 2014

30/4/2007 Honeykill, Laruso & Armstrong @ The Fly

SubjectHoneykill, Laruso & Armstrong @ The Fly
PostedDate4/29/2007 8:01:00 PM

Unfortunately I couldn't get to The Fly early enough to catch Big Num's set as they were on so early - a shame as I thought they were great last time I saw them.

I think this was Honeykill's most important gig to date - a 'Single Release' show at one of London's up and coming new venues.

It was also guitarist Richard's (on the left in the pictures) last gig with the band as he is leaving to concentrate on his own band so it was going to be a unique night.

Right from the begining of the first song 'Burnt By The Sun' the band sounded terrific - easily the best I've ever heard them! I was told afterwards that the sound on-stage was terrible and the band couldn't hear what was going on at all - Jimi (vox/guitar) thought things weren't going well and didn't enjoy the show - but out front the band sounded great.

Honeykill got an excellent reception from the crowd and I think they really did themselves some good tonight.

Next up were Laruso. I wasn't sure what to expect as I hadn't seen or heard them before - but they certainly seem to have a following and got the biggest crowd of the night. They appeared onstage all dressed in black shirts and jeans and with rather fashionably suspect hairstyles. My first impression was 'Oh no - not another emo band!' Actually, they were pretty good and rocked hard - they seemed to have some decent songs too. A band to watch I think.

Armstrong were a last minute addition to the bill and didn't manage to draw many people in the time available. They didn't let this stand in their way and really went for it. I saw them at Lark In The Park a few months ago and was quite impressed, but this time they were even better. Unusually for a current band on this circuit, they have worked on producing a memorable image - they looked completely different from last time I saw them. They also had some good songs and turned in an excellent and most entertaining performance - they have one of the best frontmen I've seen recently.

They put a real effort into putting on a good show and rock much harder than you would expect than a band who look this smart - they really stand out from the other bands in the indie-rock scene because of this.

It was a really good night at The Fly - three (would have been four if I got there earlier) excellent bands in quite a nice new venue - great value for money! A bit of a strange layout to the place though - the bands play downstairs where there is no bar - so you have to go back upstairs to get a drink. Then if you are upstairs at the bar and want a piss - you have to go downstairs! Keeps you fit with all that constant running up and down stairs I suppose, but quite a nice little venue apart from that.
PS: This venue is now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment