Saturday 15 February 2014

29/3/2007 Meanwhile, back in Barnet...

SubjectMeanwhile, back in Barnet...
PostedDate3/29/2007

After seemingly spending all my nights out for a month or so in Camden or the west end I thought I'd spend a night out locally for a change - actually the second time in March. I'd had a band called the Faith Dealers recomended to me after a friend had seen them a couple of times at the Bell & Buck, so I thought I'd check them out. I was told they were a 'mod' cover band playing lots of stuff by The Jam and The Who. I've never been into 'scenes' and so on, so I was never into the mod thing as such, but good music is good music and I've always liked The Who and The Jam so off to the pub I went.

What I found was just another very average pub band.  They certainly didn't look like mods - not that I cared. The guitarist had a nice Rickenbacker which certainly looked the part, but apart from that they almost looked like an Oasis tribute band. The only Who song I heard them play was 'Pinball Wizard' - and it wasn't a particularly inspiring version. There was plenty of Jam material though so that was good, although again not performed with any great degree of excitement. They did play The Jam's 'In The City' though - a great song that I never thought I'd hear anyone play live.  There were quite a few very non-mod rock standards thrown in for good measure - and their ill-advised cover of the Sex Pistols classic 'Pretty Vacant' seemed very lacklustre. Then again, it's a band playing songs I like in a local pub and it's free to get in with decent (although not great) beer and I can still get a pint at 1.30 in the morning so it could be a lot worse. 

Having a few beers down the pub with some mates and seeing a live band is a much better way to spend my time than wasting it ploughing through spam/timewasting bulletins on MySpazz.
The last comment is interesting - Nothing changes but the shoes social network...

No comments:

Post a Comment