Saturday 22 February 2014

26/5/2007 Telematics, Zen Motel & Disarm in Camden

SubjectTelematics, Zen Motel & Disarm in Camden
PostedDate5/26/2007

Another busy night - I had two gigs in Camden to go to. My first port of call was the Dublin Castle to see the Telematics.

They played some decent indie/rock songs to an appreciative audience before I had to rush off to the Purple Turtle. Eyelash were also on the bill at the Dublin Castle, but unfortunately I couldn't stay to see them as there was too much going on down the road...

I missed the first band while I was at the Dublin Castle and Godsized were playing as I arrived at the Purple Turtle. They were probably the heaviest band on the bill, but didn't really impress me with any particularly strong songs. Zen Motel on the other hand have plenty of songs as catchy and disgusting as an STD.
It was pure rock filth from begining to end, and we loved it! 

Disarm "they'd sell their own grannies for some eyeliner" were on fine form with their own brand of high-powered tuneful glam/punk.
This is a band brimming with energy who always seem to give 100%.


Headliners King Lizard didn't have much luck at this show - this night the headline slot wasn't the best spot to play in, though no fault of their own. The band had hardly started to crank out the sleaze when a fire alarm went off and the building had to be evacuated.  Unfortunately, this has happened several times at this venue.  It seems that one of the building's fire alarm sensors is over sensitive - but the management have no option but to get everyone out of the building when the alarm goes off, so out onto the street we all went.  The fire bridade were on the scene pretty rapidly and went in to investigate. It was some time before the all-clear was given and people were allowed back in, but it was getting pretty late by then and quite a few people were either drifting off to catch last trains or off to places like Big Red in search of more loud rock music and booze. My intentions to go with them came to nought when I realised I only had about three pounds left in my pocket - so I decided to cut my losses and catch the last tube.  King Lizard got cracking again as soon as they were allowed back into the venue  - you can't stop the rock! Fortunately, there were still some of the crowd left to go back and enjoy their show and the club until three in the morning, but as I'd been stupid enough to leave home without enough money I left them all to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment