Saturday 22 February 2014

22/5/2007 Big Num & the Velvetines @ Lark In The Park

SubjectBig Num & the Velvetines @ Lark In The Park
PostedDate5/22/2007

I went to Move On Up @ Lark In The Park to see Big Num as I couldn't get there early enough to see them at The Fly recently.

As often happens at this venue, I went to see one band and discovered another cool one as well - in this case the Velvetines who were playing as I arrived. They were pretty good - some decent songs, good musicians, and a singer with a nice 60's Motown sounding voice. Her voice also reminded me of the singer of a contemporary Detroit band who's name currently escapes me (not the BellRays) - certainly a band worth seeing again.

Big Num were excellent. I felt a bit sorry for them as they had travelled so far to play this Tuesday night gig to very few people - they deserve much better. They have some good AC/DC influences in their sound, and what sounds like some Darkness and Led Zeppelin lyrical influences - but without the high pitched wailing vocals. Their live set absolutely crackles with energy - raw and basic like early AC/DC. They are also one of those few bands who consistently sound really good live as well as playing well - not many bands seem to be able to achieve this.

Amusingly, I got asked if I was Ian Hunter!  And I didn't even have my rock star mirror shades on - or an afro! 
PS: This venue has now closed.
PPS: I'd like to add that I'm a lot younger that Ian Hunter too! I have no idea why anyone would think a 1970's rock star would be in a small obscure Islington pub on a week night.

No comments:

Post a Comment