Saturday 15 February 2014

16/3/2007 Pub rock in Harringay

SubjectPub rock in Harringay
PostedDate3/16/2007 2:31:00 PM

Friday night and I go to see a rock covers band for a change - not something I've done very much for a while apart on Sundays in Camden. I make the shorter trip to the Beaconsfield in Harringay to see my friends Airplay for a more relaxing than normal gig. The pub isn't as busy as I'm told it normally is when this band play there, maybe because people are keeping their powder dry for the St Patrick's Day celebrations the following night? Still, it's a pleasant enough night in an usually unspoilt pub with some good live music and decent draught beer - a rarity in any music venue. The music the band play varies from Rage Against The Machine through to AC/DC, also with some Thin Lizzy to warm us up for St Patrick's Day. The pub turns out to be easier to get to than expected by public transport so I expect I'll be going to see the band there again - it's free to get in as well which is nice.

As I leave I get offered a lift back to Barnet by Brian who's geordie mate is driving back that way. I accept as it means I'll get home a lot quicker - a couple of minutes later it doesn't seem such a great idea as Brian's mate is either pissed or just wrong in the head - he drives like a maniac!  I ask to be dropped off a mile or so from home and am relieved to get out of the car in one piece. It takes about 25 minutes to walk the rest of the way home and I'd probably have got home quicker in the end if I'd got the tube. 

No comments:

Post a Comment