Tuesday 11 February 2014

10/2/2007 The Quireboys @ the Purple Turtle

SubjectThe Quireboys @ the Purple Turtle
PostedDate2/10/2007

Last night I went to see a band from Newcastle. Tonight I go and see another band from Newcastle! I've seen the Quireboys enough times to know that this should be a good show - and it is. It's all the better because they are playing in a smaller more intimate venue than they normally play in London - and it's only a fiver on the door - bargain! The Quireboys bring a different sort of 'sleaze' and rock 'n' roll than  normally appears on the bill at the regular Hotter Than Hell nights at the Purple Turtle, but it's a very welcome change.

I try to arrive early in case the gig sells out with such a well known band on the bill - but once again London Transport does it's best to fuck me up with the Northern Line branch that goes through Mornington Crescent being shut - then when I travel back to Kings Cross I find Northern Line trains aren't stopping there so I can't get a train to Camden Town either.  I had to go back to Euston and get a bus.  I imagine a lot of other people had similar trouble getting to the gig as when I eventually arrive at the Purple Turtle there aren't many people there.  To my surprise I find the first band hasn't gone on yet and I haven't actually missed anything even though the doors were meant to open around two hours earlier.

First band on are Soliss - a new name to me. They are one of those bands that just don't look right - like they should all be in different bands, or not even in bands.

Fortunately, they sound better than they look - although they don't have any songs which can hold my attention. They don't really seem to know if they want to be emo, nu-metal, indie, or just plain METAL and the result seems a bit confused.

Oddly, the Quireboys are on next even though they are headlining the four band bill. Apparently it's the band's choice as they have somewhere to go afterwards. I'm not bothered what time they go on as long as I see them, although as it turns out I'm quite glad as it means I can go somewhere else after earlier if I feel like it - without having to put up with other lesser bands before the main act. Fortunately, the venue has filled right up by the time our heroes hit the stage and the atmosphere is very good. The Quireboys give excellent value for my £5 and play for about an hour and a half.

They are on good form and play what is effectively a 'greatest hits' set mainly consisting of songs from their first three albums.

Frontman Spike doesn't appear as pissed as he is sometimes, but looks to be enjoying himself.

He regales us with his northern banter as usual, and has a mild dig at the absent bassist Nigel Mogg who I imagine couldn't be arsed to make the trip over from LA just for one small club gig. His place is taken tonight by his normal stand-in Jimi.

Spike remarks that his voice might be higher than usual tonight as he is wearing Mogg jeans - and they are very tight around the nuts as Nigel doesn't have any balls!

Spike also has a dig at Guy Griffin, remarking that judging by the way the guitarist is dressed he must have just been watching Steptoe & Son!

Tonight's one off show is to promote the band's new live DVD, but Spike says they also fancied a break from recording their new album so they thought they'd play a gig.

I don't think the band miss out any of their most popular songs and the crowd lap it all up. Predictably, they finish with 'Sex Party' - but no-one's complaining!

"Bet I can squeeze out a better fart than you sunshine!"

The set list:
BITE THE HAND
MISLED
FINER STUFF
TRAMPS & THIEVES
ROSES & RINGS
THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL
SEARCHING
HALL OF SHAME
HEY YOU
THERE SHE GOES
LORRAINE LORRAINE
SOUL SLIPS AWAY
SWEET MARY ANNE
7 O'CLOCK
TAKE ME HOME
I DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE
SEX PARTY

Afterwards I buy the Quireboys new live DVD recorded at the Mean Fiddler just over a year ago - an essential purchase as I was at that show and it was particularly good and featured the girls from Planet Of Women (also the support band that night) on backing vocals. 

Next band are Cavalar. They are an out and out METAL band with a strong NWOBHM and thrash influence - loads of very long hair flying about all over the shop! They are very good at what they do, but they don't have songs good enough to hold my attention. As I saw them a few months ago at the Ace Cafe (supporting Girlschool I think) I know exactly what to expect and know I will soon be bored. At which point I am persuaded to head for Decadence. We stop off at the 12 Bar Club on the way for a quick drink and then stay at Decadence until chucking out time. Fortunately, the St Moritz isn't as full as usual - maybe due to the transport problems and the weather - more snow is supposedly on the way.

At some point in the club I realise that I have lost the Quireboys DVD I bought earlier and was in my jacket pocket.  Maybe I shouldn't buy merch at gigs - I keep fucking losing it! DVDs, CDs, T-shirts - I've bought them all at gigs and arrived home without them somehow. At least I managed to get home without getting thrown off any night buses this week though, so it wasn't all bad. Still, the Quireboys made sure it was a good night out, and I met plenty of cool people - some of whom will no doubt be reading this - you know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment