Saturday 25 January 2014

30/3/2006 The Rezillos @ Dustin's Bar Mitzva @ the 100 Club

SubjectThe Rezillos @ Dustin's Bar Mitzva @ the 100 Club
PostedDate3/29/2006 4:21:00 PM

As I walked up the road to the tube station I still felt a bit wobbly from the effects of last night's Ginger gig/aftershow and subsequent visit to Crobar before arriving home in a state of disrepair around 4.30 in the morning.  I didn't wake up until 2.30 in the afternoon and still felt a bit shakey when I got up. I'm wondering if I am on the verge of alcohol poisoning? 

I arrived at the 100 Club for a BBC 6music promotion entitled 'Pretty Ancient' celebrating 30 years of punk at the club. I noted that many of those present can't have even been a twinkle in their father's eyes when the Sex Pistols kicked things off at this famous venue. There were certainly a few present who were old enough to have been at that infamous show though - a show at least a couple of thousand people seem to have since claimed to have witnessed - even though the 100 Club only holds about 300 people and it wasn't even half full that night...

On arrival I was handed an envelope containing among other things, a CD, a badge - and a bunch of vouchers for free drinks! I like those 6music people.  Not that I'm obsessed with beer or anything. Or free beer. Oh no - certainly not. First band on was Dustin's Bar Mitzva - who opened with their song paying tribute to the Ramones which has already received plenty of airplay. Unfortunately, although the band seemed to have just the right spirit for the night - the singer appeared to have already to have partaken of rather too much of the free beer and as a consequence they were a bit rubbish. 

The same cannot be said of the Rezillos who were on fine form!  They put on a terrific rock 'n' roll show as they normally do and outperformed many bands 30 years younger! It was a high powered high energy show and certainly not just 'going through the motions' as many bands their age or much younger appear to do. As they only played for about 40 minutes it was largely a 'greatest hits' type set and although some decent newer material was aired, much of their classic 'Can't Stand The Rezillos' got a good seeing to as well. 

It was over all too soon, and I used up the last of my free drinks vouchers before the 'Punk Rock Karaoke' got going. I noticed that there were several songs I am very familar with on the karaoke list, but thought better of having a go as although I have performed on the stage at the 100 Club before, I would feel lost doing so without a guitar in my hand - and anyway, I wanted to try and catch the very rocking Kitty Hudson at the Colour Bar in Camden. Unfortunately my efforts to get to Camden in time were in vain, but at least they let me in for free as I had missed the band. I got to meet friends Miles and Naomi as well as Ritchie from the band which is always cool. Horns up motherfuckers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment